Skip navigation

1983 Regatta Blue Driver.

Back to the top

Finally getting round to doing it!

Hello people!

This is my first mk1, an A reg Driver, and I bloody love it! I bought it in February last year, and haven't done anything to it other than wheels, lows, grill and odd jobs for the MoT.
I had an immense amount of fun using it in the summer! So much so that I really wish it was back on the road already.
I'm gutted it needs work doing, but would rather sort it now before it gets any worse, and have many more years of enjoyment, rather than it fall apart haha!
Can't wait to get it back on the road…. although im so lazy at getting round to doin the work, it may not be rolling again until the end of the summer at the very least I should think. Probably next year tbh.
Can of worms an that.

Just started stripping her this week, only removed interior, bumpers and arch trims so far, but now I can see whats what with that and come up with a game plan :DPlans wise…
Body work is priority at the mo, and as I need to replace 4 arches, both sills and the rear valence I was going to go for a full respray… can't be arsed with paint that doesn't match!
Also I would like to blast and re underseal the lot, but it seems like a big job… need to see how bad it is under there first really! Am expecting the worst as Inner arches need doing anyway… so we shall see.
I may do the engine, I would like the do it whilst the car is in bits really… but not sure yet, see how it goes! and more importantly see how my funds do lol. I did want to 20vt it, but my mate has one and he says he can only drive it using half throttle haha! So maybe my hard earned would be batter spent on something that I can actually use! Not after crazy power just something pretty nippy… if its a bit quicker than my MK5 TDI 140 then i'll be happy. Any suggestions? Was thinkin ABF, but not really clued up with the different conversions tbh, ideally something easyish to do… engines aren't my strong point lol.

Well here she is, shall keep you updated and no doubt be back for some help at somepoint haha!
Any advice/suggestions more than welcome and will be greatly appreciated!

Cheers guys, hope to see you at some shows!
Ash.

Volksfest Wales 2012

Let the work commence!

Worst arch, rear o/s.

Rear n/s

Fronts not so bad.. where it meets the sill is the worst really.

Back to the top
Looks a good base man, there's a reason I'm scared to pull my arches off too, that rust!  :lol:

Sure I've seen this at Santa pod last year, bug jam or action? 

Conversion, 16v is the easiest to do or a 2.0 bottom end the Gti lump. 

Back to the top
Yeh I was expecting the worst as one of the trims fell off last year, which revealed the ugly. lol.

Noo not me, Ive never done the pod! I did Bristol Volksfest, AGM, Volksfest Wales and Malvern last year.

Thanks for the engine tips…. Ill have to look into it more!

Cheers

Back to the top
Nice looking Mk1, they all need ongoing work unfortunately mate :lol: the joys of MK1 ownership.

Good luck with the bodywork  :)

Back to the top
Check out some 16v build threads (or engine you want) I'm more than happy to go through any info with you on it :) 

Of course, get the body sorted first off  :wub:

Back to the top
Looks like a good base mate. :)I'm in the process of restoring my regatta blue driver, and its in bits at the body shop at the moment :(If you decide to change the interior, I'd bite your hand off to buy the existing black/white tweed material.

My seats are in a state and I need to get them patched/repaired.

I've decided to keep the standard engine, but fettled and cleaned up !

Not a lot of standard 1.3 drivers left !

Good luck with your re-build, and keep the photos coming

Cheers

David

:thumbs:

1991 Golf GTi Rivage - Show Car 1983 Golf driver - Restoration Project

Back to the top
Good luck wiv it mate

SOUTHWEST Regional Host. Bristol Meet - 1st Friday of the month - Toby Carvery Bradely Stoke Bristol Bristol Region Facebook Group
1.8T CABBY
TINTOP THREAD (SOLD 2016) SPORTLINE THREAD (SOLD 2015) CLIPPER THREAD (SOLD 2012) Banner

Back to the top
Well a year after i started this thread, i am actually getting on with it!
I do apologize, i caught the drift bug and it distracted me for a while… :DHavent got much room to work so sortin the rear end first, then gona spin it round to do front!

Also i have decided to keep the 1.3, gona tidy it up a bit though ;)This week ive been mainly poking at it and going over with a wire brush, finding new bits to replace!
Hopefully this is all the rot uncovered now! :thumbs: …hopefully!
Can't wait to start welding new bits on!

Right then, some pics!

No turning back now ahhhh scary! lol

Not sure if this is how people do it, just went for it!

Chuffed with the result, even if it is a bit untidy this end! :)

Slighty rusty… :\

Axle off!

Also removed the tank shortly afterwards.

Before… that hole where the breathers are goin through was filled with silicone!

After… chiseled all the fibreglass off and pulled away the tin!

Drivers side is a lot worse than passengers, just gona replace the both sides though so i know its sorted.

Thats as far as ive got for now, got a few little bits to be gettin on with until my repair sections arrive!
Was a bit daunting at first as i've never done this sorta thing before, but really enjoyin it and can't wait to get it done and on the road again :DCheers

Back to the top
Also i am selling the KR i bought if anyones interested!

cheers

Back to the top
looks like your getting stuck in there well  :thumbs:

good luck with the project.

matt

Back to the top
Wow you are getting stuck in, good on ya!

Check out my resto thread, I've not long completed a lot of the jobs you need to do. I'm no craftsman but hopefully my pics may help you for reference and a few tips ;)

Good luck with it, look forward to your updates  :thumbs:

Andy

LINCOLNSHIRE REGION - https://www.facebook.com/groups/467122313360002/

1983 MK1 Golf GTI Campaign Model - Under (looooong) resto!
1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si

Back to the top
Cheers guys!
Hairy i shall check that out! cheers!

Quick update been doin more cleaning and cutting and started a bit of welding! Such a good feeling! :D

Started to patch boot floor and wheel well!

Had some issues with the welder, think we got to the bottom of it by the time we'd finished the patch lol.
has ground back ok though!

Lookin forward to sortin the underneath out now, so can get cracking on with arches sills and rear!

I now also have a deadline… i think!
Hoping to be done for Bristol Volksfest in June so fingers crossed!

Cheers

Back to the top
Tidy work Ash  :thumbs:

Andy

LINCOLNSHIRE REGION - https://www.facebook.com/groups/467122313360002/

1983 MK1 Golf GTI Campaign Model - Under (looooong) resto!
1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.