Skip navigation

1983 mk1 Golf GTI 1.6

Back to the top

1983 mk1 Golf GTI 1.6

Well guys just back from looking at a mk1 1983 golf gti 1.6 and the paint work on it is lovely but isn't running to well. I really want a project but i aint got long to get the engine going sweet. Took a test drive and first gear wasnt working and when i got moving it was very jumpyand then it just cut out. Any suggestions what this could be?

Back to the top
could be many many many many things :mrgreen:

gear problem maybe gear linkage?

poor running might simply be ignition. but could be bad fuel delivery,need more info really

1982 Non Sunroof Black 1600 GTI

2003 MKIV Golf PD150 GT TDI

Back to the top
the car hasn't been on the road since 2005 and it was very stiff stearing and the fuel pump had fallen off. And then say it cut out twice

Back to the top
you have to put petrol in a car for it to work  :o

keeping it mk1

Back to the top
Alright Einstein ive got that much figured out.

Back to the top

f

sorry i couldnt resist   :)  

you cant select first gear? under the car in the you can adjust the long gear rod 2 ways by loosing up 1 bolt and moving and turning the adjustment clamp a bit, slight changes in position make big differences in gear selection. i changed the rubbers once and when i put it back on only had 3'4'5th so I had to move it slighty till I had all gears back, takes practice and some sitting in the car to tell you if they can get all gears
unless your first gear cog in the gearbox is in bits or on its way out as these gears are used the most they were out the fastest

as for cutting out?  It HAS to be either POOR fuel delivery (bad fuel pump, rust blockages in the pet tank for e.g) !!!!!!!! OR BAD ignition system (from distributor, leads, spark plug, alternator for e.g)

einstein over and out

:lol:

keeping it mk1

Back to the top

Russell1 said

wooooOOOOooooOOOOOOOOoooh!!!  :lol:

Back to the top

Russell1 said

wooooOOOOooooOOOOOOOOoooh!!!  :lol:

Back to the top
Sounds like its going to need a bit of recommissioning for starters and the problems you speak of can be cured with  plenty of time and patience.

What you really should be looking at are the places where they rot. Pretty paintwork doesn't automatically mean a solid car.

Good luck if you think you can handle it!

Back to the top
I'm thinking abou engine swapping to a mk3 golf? Would that be easier? Thanks for the replies

Back to the top
Seems an extreme solution to what could be a simple fault. Depends how competent mechanic you are

Back to the top
I've a good few mechanics in the family that are willing to help. But of course I'll try and solve the problem first! :)
But the engine is a awful mess in this car. Ill throw up a few photos later and let yous all have a look! Have you any other tips or things I should be worried/ looking for? Thanks again.

Back to the top
There is loads of info   here. on what to look for but

Obvious things to check are the fuel filler neck rots around where the fuel filler nozzle goes in and this causes rust to get into the fuel system and play havoc with the injection system.

Gearlinkage wear is common but easily fixable with readily available parts.

water ingress under the windscreen from rotton scuttle panel can drip water onto the fusebox and play games with your electrics.

Rot in the bottom corners of the wheel arches in all 8 areas. (Is often hidden by the plastic wheel arch spats on GTI's)

Rear panels rot.
Factory sunroofs rot.
Rot can pretty much appear any where on these cars and if you start to find it then assume it will be just the tip of the iceburg that you have found.
Worn/damaged trim which is difficult to replace with decent if your on a tight budget.

Engines are pretty bullet proof but only if they've been looked after. Valve stem guides wear to give a puff of smoke on start up. Constant smoke will mean a rebore and full rebuild.

Gearboxes crunching down into 2nd is guaranteed on high mileage but livable with.

The list can go on……..

These cars do come with a certain amount of kudos but it can come at a price!

Study some of the projects taken on on this site and it should give you an idea of what you could be letting yourself in for.

Back to the top
There is rust on the neck of the filler but we've already knew that we were gona change the whole fuel system. And the only bit of rot I could see was in the spare wheel. I've been looking through all the projects and there are quite a lot more worse than this one. How do you put photos up?

Back to the top
You need to have a photobucket account and upload your pictures to there to begin with.

Try and follow

these instuctions and see how you get on.
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.