Skip navigation

1983 Bronze 1.5 GL

Back to the top
So I thought I would start a thread for my newly acquired Golf, fondly nicknamed "Baxter" by the girlfriend.

Here she is sat on the drive while I wait for my carburettor to come back from refurbishment.

She'll be off the road for about 6 weeks which gives me plenty of time to get to work. So far I've just been stripping the engine bay and starting the cleaning. (excuse the wiring)

Some dodgy work around the suspension struts which has me a little concerned.

Dent in the front left wing

Bodged front left trim

Weird replacement clutch pedal

Bumpers off!

And a cute badge on the glove compartment, I think I'll leave it there for now!

So a lot to be done before the carb comes back, I plan to have new wheels, suspension, rear wheel spats, offside wing trim, electronic ignition, electronic fuel pump, fuel lines, vacuum lines, tidy up and re-wrap wiring, new front splitter, and general deep cleaning of the interior. Once the carbs back it'll be taken to a garage to sort out the dent and touch up the paint where its had scuffs.

I hope you like what you see and I'll do my best to keep up with regular updates. Any feedback, tips or comments would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers.

Back to the top
Looks a good car matey. Good luck with the work.

Smudger

Back to the top
So I haven't updated in a while, but I have been working hard!

Only thing left in the engine bay is the engine and gearbox, all prepped for painting and the components are being cleaned up.

New Coil:

Refurbed Dizzy:

Now I also purchased some Eibach springs to improve the handling, but I came across problem after problem while tackling the suspension.
The driver's side strut had a rounded off bolt, after much frustration I had to resort to using a nut splitter to get it off.

Then I discovered the condition of the rear offside spring cap:

Obviously this was a bit worrying so I got hold of some new top caps and rebuilt the rears: Niiiiice.

Now to the fronts. Obviously to remove the front dampers I had to remove the caps holding them in. The left was no problem, but the right was a pain in the ass.
It wouldn't move. Seriously. It WOULDN'T move.

So I resorted to an axle grinder. Then it moved.

If you can see the top of the damper is actually fused onto the cap.
The whole thing fell apart as soon as the cap came off, explains the soft and rolly suspension…

So now I'm waiting on new front dampers, oh well, the car will be better for it.

Thanks for reading, until the next time.

Back to the top
If in doubt get the angle grinder out ;)

Nice work buddy.

Back to the top
Got to say I'm liking 4drs more and more  :thumbs:

"Mk1 Golf Gti...all things to all men"

Back to the top
Thank you both for the comments! :) I have made a bit more progress since my last post.

Fuel pump all cleaned up.

Alternator too, the fan will be painted gold to match the bodywork. :cool:

Front strut assemblies stripped, cleaned up and painted ready for new dampers and springs. (still needs another coat)

Now I have a question, the fuel reservoir/return below, it sounds like its full of crud, anyone know where I can get a new one?

Must it be mounted upright in order to function? If I were to get an electric fuel pump would it be needed?
Also any recommendations on an electric fuel pump would be appreciated. :thumbs:Thanks for reading, until next time.

Back to the top
Good work, the refurbed parts look awesome :)

Last edit: by Ellface

'87 Mk1 Cabby.
MK5 Golf Daily.

Instagram - woahnowboys
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.