Skip navigation

1983 1.5 GX project (pic heavy)

Back to the top

1983 1.5 GX project (pic heavy)

well today i started a little bit of stripping, no real shocks lurking so far although there is some water in the rear o/s footwell which i will investigate further when i get the carpet off!

rust free front arches which is nice  :smiley:

the evil rusty rear arches and sills;

rear tow hook

folding seats without a realse leaver in a 5dr  :grin:

Back to the top
I used to have a papyrus green GX, exactly the same as yours really! Same rust spots, and the same pools of water in the footwells :lol:  In the end I found it was coming in around the rear light clusters, as the panel around them had rotten through..

Good luck with the restoration!

Greg

1981 Golf C 1.1
1982 Golf GTI
1992 Corrado G60
1999 Golf GT TDI

Back to the top
got a little more done today, have also orderd a few engine service parts to see if i can get it running.

started by taking out the rest of the interior and checked the footwells for rust which there was none.

sump is very low  

Back to the top
Just changed the rocker cover gasket

was hoping to get it to fire up but couldnt get any life from the battery  :undecided: not sure if its the battery(i had it on trickle charge over night) or something more sinister

also found out therad is leaking like a seive so will need a new one. found this but surley it cant be right, a radiator for £2.96?? http://www.eurocarparts.com/ecp/c/Volkswagen_Golf_1.5_1983/p/Car-Parts/Cooling-and-Heating/Cooling/Radiators/?200440030&1&65a81854352485332acc1821cc76f9c2335662f6&RADD

Back to the top
that price on that rad seems very wrong to me but if it is that much then happy days lol :P

you dont want to see me angry im like noddy with a headache.

Back to the top

simmo88 said

that price on that rad seems very wrong to me but if it is that much then happy days lol :P

well ive orderd it so we'll see what turns up through the post  :lol:

Back to the top
small update, now have around £3k to spend on the mk1. will more than likely get in contact with crazyquiffs as theyre pretty close by. anyone know if they do engine recons as well as bodyshop stuff?  i also have the dilemma of getting the mk1 there as i have no trailer :(

also now deciding on a colour to respray the car, im thinking a gold/brown metalic, thoughts?

Back to the top
Looks like you've got your work cut out and it's great to see a mk1 getting some TLC.  Hope it goes well.  As for colour I wouldn't go gold but that's just my thoughts… maybe check the old VW colours and have a look through  :dontknow: .

Good luck mate and hope it goes well.

Back to the top

Spudfingers said

Looks like you've got your work cut out and it's great to see a mk1 getting some TLC.  Hope it goes well.  As for colour I wouldn't go gold but that's just my thoughts… maybe check the old VW colours and have a look through  :dontknow: .

any idea wherei could find a list/preview of old vw colours? :?

Back to the top

shepgx said

Spudfingers said

You might want to install google toolbar and then click "translate" but this is from a German site:-

Paint Codes

Happy to help  :wink:

Back to the top

Spudfingers said

shepgx said

Spudfingers said

You might want to install google toolbar and then click "translate" but this is from a German site:-

Paint Codes

Happy to help  :wink:

very helpful cheers  :)

Back to the top
No worries mate… probably one of the most important things to set the car off is the colour…. no pressure then  :lol: .  Keep us posted wont ya.  :wink:

Back to the top

Spudfingers said

No worries mate… probably one of the most important things to set the car off is the colour…. no pressure then  :lol: .  Keep us posted wont ya.  :wink:

haha i agree and its made harder because i dont want the colour to make it look to modern! :?

Back to the top
It's not a problem mate don't stress…. this thread shows lots of peoples cars for ideas IDEAS HERE or look around in the "Your cars and projects" section for ideas… with the colour chart and these two it should make your choice easier  :wink:

Back to the top
Update.

finally made a start on sorting the mk1 out recently.

new sill. (inner wing nice and solid)

chopping out the rot

dodgey repair section?

Back to the top
If you wanna shift the original wheels and caps let me know ;)

I've got a GX too that I am fixing up.

1987 Caddy 1.6Turbo Diesel-GTD :D
Instagram:  Cavscp

Back to the top
Please keep the original colour! :pray:

1983 Polo CL - daily

1984 Golf G60 Syncro - sold

1989 Rallye Golf - sold

1992 Corrado G60 - crushed

1989 Polo C - chopped and crushed

1991 309 Style - crushed

Back to the top
I think so too-theyre aren't too many GXs about and to keep it original colour etc is a good idea in my opinion.

I still don't know why the previous owner of my car went for Matt black!! Soon to be back to OEM goodness though!

But its your car so do as you please!

Back to the top
yeah my plans towards the car changed regarding the paint. my only concern now is getting it solid and road worthy(and running :p)

chopped out and replaced the whole sill last weekend so i feel im making progress!

cavs the original steels are yours if you want to collect them. centers are gone though.

Back to the top
Ok cool-don't suppose you are at any shows this year are you?

0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.