Skip navigation

1982 Rebuild,1.8t 20v My First MK1!

Back to the top
Hi, This is all rather new to me but thought I may get some useful help from you chaps along the way!
My father owns a body shop which spray classics and customs as well as some normal stuff, and has kindly lent me some space in the corner!
I bought this car with just a back end in it about 3 months ago and have been gradually beavering away trying to get it solid, collecting bits and bobs along the way.
Ill try to gradually get pics etc. up of how far i have got over the next few days :-)

The day I picked the car up back in October

Back to the top

Finally back in the workshop after collection

Back to the top
started to attack the abundance of rust :-)

Last edit: by JackWealdCoachworks

Back to the top

Last edit: by JackWealdCoachworks

Back to the top

the hole left by taking out the wheel well to allow for triangulation of the rear axle

The chassis and inner arches was rotten both sides too as well as the inner arches

I fabricated new mounts for the rear axle

Back to the top
Nice work mate. An awesome project you've got going on.

Looking forward to more updates. Keep us posted.

Welcome BTW.  :)

Back to the top
Thanks a lot, im up at the workshop today so pictures should follow later on. :-)

Back to the top
 :thumbs:  :thumbs:  :thumbs:  :thumbs:

Back to the top
looking good loads of mk1 20v going on atm . keep up the good work and let us know if you need help  :thumbs:  :thumbs:  :thumbs:  :thumbs:

Back to the top

peterg60 said

looking good loads of mk1 20v going on atm . keep up the good work and let us know if you need help  :thumbs:  :thumbs:  :thumbs:  :thumbs:

I think it's getting easier to do on a budget these days mate as there are so many that have been done and there are countless threads out there to help.

Back to the top
Hey, I have got quite a bit done over the past few weeks. The wider arches are almost there and the new rear panel is in… not too far off a solid car now :-)

The rear panel is spot welded in

G60 Rears turned up this week, along with some more goodies

Fishnets need a retrim!

Gearbox and spare block

Does anyone know of any good re trimmers, and roughly what their charging?

Back to the top
Nice update matey. Love the fishnet recaros. Retro-tastic. The arches look awesome.  :thumbs:

Back to the top

is there a spacer/platform between the two springs?

Back to the top
Cheers smudger, they took long enough!

Do you mean between the upper and lower spring jon? If so no the springs are tapered out in a way they fit flush at each end. Any particular reason why you ask though??

Back to the top

JackWealdCoachworks said

Do you mean between the upper and lower spring jon? If so no the springs are tapered out in a way they fit flush at each end. Any particular reason why you ask though??

I think it's because mine sits very low now with the coilies it's on at the moment but I have some extensions to fit to make it higher. I think there could be some spacers missing????

Back to the top

smudger1980 said

JackWealdCoachworks said

I think it's because mine sits very low now with the coilies it's on at the moment but I have some extensions to fit to make it higher. I think there could be some spacers missing????

Yes between the two springs.

Its because smudgers have had the lower helper springs removed, and I want to put them back to raise the car up, now it has a heavier engine and bigger wheels. but it doesn't have the spacers/platforms if it ever had them,

Back to the top
What he said ^^^^^  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Back to the top
I had a look yesterday, and they do have a shim between the upper and lower spring to help keep the two located centrally. It is only about 5mm wide.

I managed to get on the g60 stubs this week

And set about strengthening the back axle

Back to the top
Nice work there. Saw a rear beam similar on eBay recently sell for £250.  :o

Back to the top
Hello mate, i thought the rear beam was meant to flex a bit, other triangulations i have seen have rose joints to allow for this, from the photos it yours looks solidly welded, just wondering if it would crack in use, but im no chassis engineer.
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.