Skip navigation

1982 MK1 Golf GTI

Back to the top

1982 MK1 Golf GTI

Hi all

Thought i should start a project thread as i bought my first VW yesterday :)

Original 1982 Volkswagen MK1 Golf GTI

The guy i bought it off has been asking me to go and have a look at it for probably 6 months or more, but I kept putting it off as I was busy with other projects (minis:oops:  ), but as i sold those a while ago, i fancied another project, so yesterday i decided to go and have a look and i ended up driving it home  :lol: . He'd owned the mk1 for 17 years and for the last 9 years it has just been stood outside with a very occasional run around the block. Considering it's been kept outside the body is in very good condition with just some minor surface rust in places, the usual suspect areas are all in good condition. From what i can see the car is in original condition apart from a few bits being the radio/speakers and I?m not sure on whether the spoiler is an original extra or not, as I?m no expert yet lol. As for plans, for the time being it'll just be a general tidy up and then over the winter I?ll hopefully get more involved and get the mk1 into as good a condition as i can.

Theres a few standard bits that i'll be on the lookout for over the next couple of weeks as some bits are abit tired.

As for price I think I got a bargain, but as I said I?m not really an expert, but have been looking at the prices of others etc and it doesn?t seem a bad buy. I bought the car with no tax/mot and I paid ?1000

Anyway enough of the rabiting here are some pics

will keep you posted

Cheers Joe

Back to the top
What you mean "mini ooops" lol, you will find that a hell of alot of dub enthusiasts also love the little cars for one reason or another :lol:

These cars can turn out to be a bottomless money pit if you buy the wrong one so time should always be taken when deciding on your purchase, I always way up the cost of repair against the purchase price of a properly ready restored car, downside to this is missing the fun of the rebuild and getting to know the ins and outs of your car, the upside is your saved sleepless nights and crazy bad heads.

I've seen some very expensive examples that have had MAJOR work carried out ready for the scrap heap due to poor welding and DIY repairs so don't think because yours is unrestored that it is a cheap example..

Sometimes it's better to get a decent original example at a good price than a so called exellent example that has had new sills welded ontop of old and arches ontop of rust..

As for the spoiler! regardless if it is dealer or zender etc it is retro and was a modification of the era so keep it :wink:

Looks like a good start you have there bud… enjoy

<a href="http://www.golfcabrio.co.uk">New Golf Cabrio Forum NEEDS YOU</a>

<a href="url">http://www.golfcabrio.co.uk</a>

Back to the top
thanks for the reply matey,  :lol: i was'nt sure whether dub enthusiasts were fans or not. Hopefully it does'nt turn into a money pit, but there will be a fair amount of work carried out over the winter inc full respray etc. I mainly bought it as a project so i can have some fun and get stuck in, and i want to try and do as much myself as i can. Although there will probs be quite a few newbie questions floating about :lol:

and the spoiler will also be staying lol,

Back to the top
Yep, looks good to me from what I can see.
I would pay that no problem.

Best of luck & keep us posted!

Dibbler.

Golf MK1 GLi Golf MK2 GTi Golf MK3 GTi Galaxy 2.3 Ghia X Seat Inca 1.9 Diesel Tomorrow is almost over, today went by so fast The only thing to look forward too is the past.
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.