Skip navigation

1982 Mk1 Golf GTI G60

Back to the top

1982 Mk1 Golf GTI G60

Evening Everyone   :mrgreen:

As some of you may of seen, I have been collecting all the parts to convert my Mk1 Caddy to a G60.  Having looked round the Caddy recently it became evident that it was going to require some bodywork repairs in the future and fitting the engine etc would be a waste of time, as it would all eventually have to come out again!

So…….  I ended up buying this last week   :mrgreen:

Its a 1981 Mk1 Golf GTI.  It has been stripped back to bare metal and all the rot has been cut out and replaced.  So it now just needs prepping and painting and then I can go about dropping the engine in!

The only problem I have is the Golf it currently in Manchester!  I had a mate picking it up for me last Sunday but the cambelt snapped on his Transit halfway there and he had to be recovered home   :(   So I am trying to sort out either having it collected by someone else or renting a trailer and picking it up myself.  I will let you all know how I get on!

Anyway, here are some pics   :mrgreen:

Cheers for looking   :mrgreen:

Sammo

Live In Surrey? Own A VW? Join Surrey Dubs: www.surreydubs.co.uk

Americans Think England Is Full Of Soft, Posh, Nice People Walking Round In Top Hats And Drinking Tea!

Back to the top
Ok, the Golf finally got collected this week.  That in itself was a complete balls up!  I cant even be bothered to go into it at the moment.

Anyway!  So the Golf turned up at the bodyshop last Saturday.  It went straight in so they could start doing there thing and all was good.  Or so I thought!  I got a call today from the bodyshop to say that because the previous owner (utter twat) didnt bother to cover the car over once he had stripped the paint, the roof is now fooked!  The bodyshop advised me to collect the Golf as I wouldnt want to pay them to replace it (muchos expensive).

So today a mate and I collected the Golf from the bodyshop and my mate has very kindly let me plonk it on his driveway for the time being ;D  They bodyshop werent lying!  The roof has had it!  I will try and get some pics at some point!

Anyway, when the bodyshop gave me the news about the roof I got into a bit of a panic trying to work out what I was going to do!  I suddenly remembered reading a build thread where a guy had fitted a carbon fibre roof to his Mk1  8-)  I also remembered that I had seen a carbon fibre roof advertised for sale not too long ago ;D  So I spent half an hour or so searching around and finally found the advert.  I PM'd the guy selling it and it was still available.  At the same time I also PM'd the guy who had fitted one to his, just to ask how easy it was.  He got back to me very quickly and said its pretty easy but he is more than happy to come and help me fit it ;D

So the long and short of it is, I am fitting a carbon fibre roof to my Golf  8-)  It's actually going to work out a much cheaper option than having the original roof sorted out plus it weighs about a third of the metal roof ;D

Seeing as I am having this done I was checking out prices for carbon fibre bonnet, wings and boot.  Lets just say there a little out of my price range at the moment lol!  However the same company also makes fibreglass panels (which are still a hell of a lot lighter than metal panels), so I might buy them instead :)

I will keep you all updated on whats going on, as and when it happens.

Cheers

Sammo

Americans Think England Is Full Of Soft, Posh, Nice People Walking Round In Top Hats And Drinking Tea!

Back to the top
I picked up the carbon fibre roof today :D

Heres some pics   :mrgreen:

Back to the top
I suppose I should put some sort of update on here :P

So, I will finally be bringing the Golf back to my house next week ;D

The plan is to take a Thursday and Friday off work and spend both days sanding the whole shell down, back to bare metal. I should quite easily be able to do this in 2 full days. Then on the Saturday morning I am going to tow the car into work and one of the sprayers is going to spray the whole thing in etch primer, to stop it from rusting over again!

There is a next stage to the plan but I'm not going to reveal it quite yet.

I will update this again with some pictures as soon as the Golf is at mine.

Read more: http://www.surrey-dubs.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=readersrides&action=display&thread=66&page=1#ixzz1KwXdTtwa

Here are pics of the bits I have for it so far.  Just to tide you all over for now  ;D  You will already have seen some of it, but I dont care  :P

Floor Mounted Pedal Box

Carbon Fibre Roof

B&M Short Shifter

Janspeed 4Branch Exhaust Manifold

Front Mounted Intercooler

100mm Driveshafts

Full Polybush Kit

Wilwood 4Pots

Thats most of the bits at the moment.  However there will be more ;D

Back to the top
Lots of very nice shinny parts :)

James

Click for Berkshire Mk1's>>> Facebook

Back to the top
looking good, i was going to buy this car when it was up for sale til i realised it had been left outdoors in bare metal so i found a local one instead, parts are looking great and cant wait to see more progress

Back to the top

brad_mole said

looking good, i was going to buy this car when it was up for sale til i realised it had been left outdoors in bare metal so i found a local one instead, parts are looking great and cant wait to see more progress

Yes, annoyingly the guy told me the car was covered up and was in the same condition as the pictures suggested!  It wasnt until it turned up that I realised the bloke had been lying through his back teeth!

But never mind, onwards and upwards!

Back to the top
I drove to Ipswich on Wednesday to collect these  ;D

Two totally solid Mk1 doors!  My doors were completely rotten along the bottom and these were amazingly cheap, so it was well worth the 250 mile round trip!

Back to the top
wow great job!! Very nice! :)

Back to the top
This look like im going to love this thread!

Keep up the ace work and all the right bits!

Golf Mk1 project
BMW 325i Touring

Back to the top
Bit of a bad ordeal with seller… but turned out to be good thing coz that carbon roof is AMAZING.. :D
I like how this restro's starting Sammo keep it up mate :D

Thanx Shaun

Back to the top
looking good fella :)

83 MK1 GTI G60 85 MK2 GTI 20VT 2004 SEAT ALTEA 2.0 TDI SPORT

Back to the top

paul_h said

looking good fella :)

Cheers  :mrgreen:  

I might even get to start work on it int he next couple of weeks.

Back to the top
Ok, I have a seriously major update  :mrgreen:

The car is now at my house   :o

This means I can actually start working on it, as soon as it stops raining!

Here is a pic I just took:

With a bit of luck my updates will now be a regular occurance!

Cheers

Sammo

0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.