Skip navigation

1981 VW Golf GL 1.5 Auto Inari Silver

Back to the top

1981 VW Golf GL 1.5 Auto Inari Silver

Sometimes, like many other retro car enthusiasts you just browse eBay classic cars and see what is thrown up locally. Another thing I do is put a bid on something instead of just watching safe in the knowledge it is worth loads more and you have no chance of winning. Well I cant even blame it on being drunk as I have been advised not to drink for a while after my pancreatitis but I placed a bid and ended up winning this! I totally forgot about my bid until my misses phoned me at work and told me I had won a car on eBay and she wasnt happy :x

Now the last thing I need as the weather is getting colder is another project on the drive. I suppose my reasoning was that if it is total junk I could remove the engine to rebuild for my Passat over the winter and recoup some cash from parts. To put it in perspective it was not a lot of money for a MK1 Golf but it was nearly 50 miles away so used Shiply to get it home which cost an extra £65.

I think I have a mild obsession with Inari Silver, I love the colour and had this been red or blue I would not have placed a bid. I travelled 400 miles a couple of years ago to buy an Inari Silver MK1 Passat. It has been off the road since 2000 but the previous owner has apparently sorted out the brakes and got the engine running but there is still a fair bit to do. I have had a quick look round when it arrived and it is very solid. It will need a little bit of welding but as its a bit ratty I will have a bash at it myself. Plans are to just aquire an MoT, slam on cheap coilovers then fit my Teledials.

Hopefully I can source the parts I need cheaply through this site and get another MK1 back on the road. I will try and keep you up to date with my progress or keep an eye out in the classifieds when I loose interest!

Back to the top
dazmeister nice to see another inari mk1..check out my 16v gti in the malvern pics and good luck..ps dont give up on her lookin forward 2 seeing ur progress

Back to the top

lawce70 said

dazmeister nice to see another inari mk1..check out my 16v gti in the malvern pics and good luck..ps dont give up on her lookin forward 2 seeing ur progress

Cheers mate, will check it out.

Gotta work tomorrow morning then its outside all afternoon to assess the situation. It is definately a lot more solid than what my MK1 Passat was but at least with this I will be able to get parts off the shelf. I kind of like the rough and ready patina of the body but it will probably turn into a full on resto like the Passat. I already have a retro roof rack to fit but really must concentrate on the basics. It seems to have had a lot of standing water inside hence the light rust inside and lack of sound deadening/carpet. I might just POR15 the inner floorpan then try and find a good used carpet or full interior. As it was wet inside it has mould on most surfaces and the electrics on the dash dont seem to work so hopefully just corroded connections.

Thinking back this will be my 6th MK1 Golf so I should know what I am doing :?

Back to the top
Great to see it ,I'm sure you can fit in the time to give it the tlc that she deserves,Rome wasn't built in a day hope it all goes well. :D

Back to the top
looks like a nice project mate,got any more pics?
p.s i did the same with my last purchase, didnt think id win but hey ho i own it now  :lol:
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.