Skip navigation

1980 Series 1 More Door

Back to the top

1980 Series 1 More Door

Well Finally after selling the Mk2 i have wanted to get back into a old school dub the mk5 just dont cut it  :lol: . So after i kept telling myself no i finally gave in (this was over 6 months ago  :lol: ) Found a Mk1 Gti in Glasgow on Gumtree so me and Scott jumped in the car and headed to see it….. needed far too much work so walked. i hand seen few come up here and there few phone calls and never really got anywhere. Second one came up on Facebook was a 5 door 1.5 and was in Manchester spoke to the guy seemed genuine said all the welding had been done and all that was need was brakes and a battery for an mot, got pics and seem good. Arranged to go down view and my mate James got the flat bed and away we went, the thing had been painted with a roller!! a feckin ROLLER!!!! which wasent mentioned needed both sills on each side doing hole in the floor, big crack in the spare wheel well, back panel fibre glassed the list goes on so waste of time and £120 RAGE!!  :evil:

Spotted this one on ebay series 1 more door with 72k on the clock with mots to back it up. went to view again with Scott cheers mate bought it there an then taxed it and drove it home seems solid in the right places needs a clutch full hit of paint ect but what project doesent eh?

Enough of the big story ill let the pick do the rest

Rollin home

Got it in and gave it a quick clean not the best pics but will get better daylight ones soon

Will be a slow project few bits to get done on the mk5 first then get stuck into this.

:thumbup:

Back to the top
Nice looking base to start with mate.

I know what you mean about ads being misleading. I saw a few before I got mine. One I went to see was advertised as excellent condition. Got there to find a massive sunroof leak, rusty doors and an engine that just wouldn't idle and sounded awful.

Good luck with the project.

Smudger

Back to the top
Thanks fella yeah its very frustrating  :banghead:

Back to the top
As Smudger say's, that's a nice base car mate, congrats! What you got planned for it then? I so want a series 1 golf now, I just love the look of the back end.

Back to the top
Thanks as for plans got lots lined up. First up is a new clutch which is needed then give the engine a major service and belts ect then the fun begins, lows,wheels and paint  :D

Back to the top
Hey nice looking project you got yourself there Chris. Glad you got a good one eventually after all the pish you had to put up with from scammers.

Looks pretty solid which is a bonus for a series 1 - be very interesting seeing your progress with it - hopefully also in the flesh at some meets/shows in Scotland next year as I'm based in Edinburgh.

James

Golf GLS 1980

Back to the top
Cheers lads will keep this updated few bits ordered but nothing exciting just clutch kit and service items.

Back to the top
Had it out the other night getting a few pics before it gets ripped apart

Back to the top
Love the photo!!!  :mrgreen:

Back to the top
Very arty farty photo.... :)

Back to the top
Looks awesome mate  :D

Good luck with the re-build and keep the updates coming

Cheers

David

:D

1991 Golf GTi Rivage - Show Car 1983 Golf driver - Restoration Project

Back to the top
I almost went to see the one in Manchester, seemed too good to be true at that price. Glad I didn't! (Has been for sale a long time supposedly)

Back to the top
Cheers lads

Jim i traveled down from Glasgow what a waste of time for me and my mate waste of cash on fuel an going out the way to get a flatbed! he told us the car was soild all welding had been done, not a bit of welding done floor was rotten car had been painted with a ROLLER!! angry was an understatement!

Back to the top
Wondered why it was not selling. From the pictures it looked okay and he also told me no welding was needed. Bloody time wasters!
At least it worked out in the end, lovely motor.
Jim

Back to the top
Cheers Jim

Back to the top

Back to the top
Was it a bargain then. I saw this one advertised too...

Diesel Possessed

A97JCE

Feeby

Back to the top
It was indeed and was local to me which was a bonus!

Back to the top
Hi mate. looked at this Mk1 myself. Im in glasgow as well but i think im going to look out for a 3 door. Gumtree has been quiet for last couple months. I went and saw a Red Mk1 GTI advertised as a Golf C in the west end of Glasgow several month back and passed up on it. Big Regret. Have you got any mods planned for the car?

Back to the top
Cheers lad. lots of plans paint,engine,coils wheels ect wanting to get started an get it stripped but keep driving it was out last night an got some more cracking shots by my mate.
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.