Skip navigation

1979 Golf Gti

Back to the top

1979 Golf Gti

Evening ladies and gents,

I collected this series 1 gti yesterday, about 7miles from my house. I thought i'd stick a thread up about it for advice and general help. I start uni on a motorsport engineering degree on wednesday so i though what better time to start a project, as i learn i'll be able to transfer my new found knowlege to the golf. I've never done anything like this so i'm hoping everything goes to plan  :dontknow:  :D

In its new home which it wont be leaving for a few years :cry:

It has ALOT of rust, i have most of the repair panels but in need inner and outer rear arches, front panel and both front turrets, inner sills both sides and a number of others inc scuttle etc.

Evidence of track abuse

The car has suffered a few bad repairs over the years i'd imagine just to keep it off the road, last MOT ran out in may 2008 8O so i need to sort these out as well.
I plan to finish stripping it down thenhave the shell chemically stripped and dipped then primered just to get it spotless and make sure i see all the rust!!

Anyway there she is, i'm completely new to mk1's so ideas on where to get panels like the inner sills or anyone in the area willing to lend a hand or motivate would be welcomed :mrgreen:

Back to the top
brave very brave, heres some pics of when it was mine, i bought it as a doner car, but didn't have the heart to rip apart a s1.

i'll be keeping an eye on this one :wink:

Back to the top
I was hoping someone who knew it would pop up but i didn't realise it'd be so quick!!!
There is alot of work to do but looks like there are plenty of panels about, she will live again  :mrgreen:

Every time i think about the rust it makes me laugh, but then i'm sure that'll turn into tears and swearing once the welding and fab work starts, thats if there is anything left after its been dipped  :lol:

Back to the top
well they do seem to be few and far between these days, even the s2's!

i sacked my s1 after a guy bodged the paint, now have a s2 and won't be making the same mistake.
  good luck with it 8)

Back to the top
Whats more impressive is….

……
/
…..  THE GARAAAAAAAAGE ITS INNNNN..

I have garage envy regularly (usualy followed by midnight rotten egg throwing) but that garage is pretyyyyyyyyy sweeeeet.

Back to the top
I'm hoping to do the paint myself, I'm not bad but i've never painted a full car before but there's always a first time for everything!

finding the inner wing panels and the inner sills is proving to be tricky currently :cry:

the garage is at the bottom of my garden in its own gated yard its such a handy thing to have, i've only been here two years and i'm still feel very lucky to have it. i do need to sort out the electrics though as i currently have none.

Back to the top
Today i stripped my BBS RS033's down and dipped them, for the eagle eyed of you, you would have already noticed the 3 dipping tanks out the front of the garage :)

I have 3 solutions, the first is de rust, second is de greaser and the last is the paint stripper. Bloody handy to have if i must say!

I had another poke around and found more rust and added a few more panels to my list :lol:

Back to the top
started cleaning up a few things, previous repairs are alot of extra work but cutting and welding will commence soon…

Back to the top
Liking that garage and very impressed with the dipping tanks… Couldn't live without my double garage!

Whereabouts are you studying the Motorsport?

White '82  Tintop 1800 Golf GTI

Back to the top
You are getting on with it quite well, well done.

Where abouts are you studying the motorsport degree?
I am about to start my 2nd year doing Automotive engineering at Loughborough.

Back to the top

blancomcr said

Whats more impressive is….

……
/
…..  THE GARAAAAAAAAGE ITS INNNNN..

I have garage envy regularly (usualy followed by midnight rotten egg throwing) but that garage is pretyyyyyyyyy sweeeeet.

8O i too noticed its new garage….. superb size !

Banner

Back to the top
At Oxford, i'm doing a level 3 then going onto the foundation degree, they didn't have any places left but i was desperate to get on with something so opted to do the level 3 which is very good  :(  :)

I'm hoping to start choping some bits about next weekend i've got a few repair panels but no welder at the moment so i need to get one.

The previous repairs are annoying to say the least, just plated over rust and tacked the top of the front panel and all across the top of the inner wing. TBH the metal on the inner wings is shot anyway so i'll prob just cut the lot out and start a fresh as its like swiss cheese :dontknow:

I thought the car would get more love but the garage is stealing its glory  :lol:

Back to the top
I was about to say it looked very clean frm the first pictures then i scroled ferther down. lol. Ah well. Good luck with the mk1 and with the degree? Where are you studying? i start doing my final year of my motorsport degree at oxford brooks on the 20th.

Mk1 Golf Gti Abf conversion Project
Mk2 Golf Gti 16v
Mini Cooper S R53 (Daily)

Back to the top
Sorry i just read your above post. I might see you around at oxford then. Are you local to that area?

Mk1 Golf Gti Abf conversion Project
Mk2 Golf Gti 16v
Mini Cooper S R53 (Daily)

Back to the top
Did this one get finished?

Regards Volkswarren

X2 1983 A REG EW CAMPAIGN In WHITE(Awaiting full rebuild solid body) :thumbs: & T Reg S1 GTi Project, Still Looking for Series 1 GTi's or a 16S Oettinger to restore (Complete Cars only)  or an A reg Lhasa Green or White Gti to restore, also consider  Black, Red or Blue, Also Golf Driver Project Wanted anything considered WHY
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.