Back to the top

16VG60 - Update 3/6/2010

It ran for the first time today !!
Whoop whoop :-)

Cheers,
Ade

Banner

Back to the top
That must be very exciting for you! im still in the collecting parts stage.  Did you fire it up or was it the garage?  More importantly when do you get to drive it! :)

Back to the top
Yea, I am really excited !!
Just had to post it up :-)

Jody at MidVW dropped me an email to say that they had it running today, there are still one or two pipes to sort out. Hopefully going to go over and see it for myself on Saturday !!

Getting close now.
Not looking forward to the 1000 mile run in though

Cheers,
Ade

Banner

Back to the top
:) great news , oohhhh get some pics up ,  you tube …l

Mk1 2l TSR G60.  .getting. There twice as fast

Mk1 lhd diesel…….getting. There for half the cost

Back to the top
VERY jealous!

Back to the top
the whine from those G60's is music to the ears
 :notworthy:  :notworthy:  :notworthy:

Back to the top
Good news Ade - just a little puzzled about your proposed running in of the engine.

I struggle to understand why 1,000 miles is a recommended run-in period. If you consider the fact that running-in an engine at 3,000 RPM and 30 MPH, 1,000 miles would see the engine complete 6,000,000 revolutions. 100 miles at the same speed would see your bottom end carry out 600,000 revolutions. If you've still any high spots after 600,000 revolutions, you've got issues!

A gentle run-in only leads to smooth bores and poor sealing of rings. It's important to create high cylinder pressures early on in the running-in procedure. Tests have proven that gentle running-in of engines leads to a drop in horsepower, compared to an engine run-in correctly.

I'd recommend accelerating in 4th gear from 30 MPH to 60 MPH half a dozen times, letting the engine do the braking unassisted back down to 30 MPH. With the G-charger and the 16v head, this should create some lovely high cylinder pressures and ensure your rings seal properly.

After this, a period of 100 miles should see your engine fit for use. Ensure correct AFRs and ignition maps are set before opening the car up to avoid melting your pistons!

You've got a great engine in your car Ade, don't mistreat it with a gentle run in!

1983 Polo CL - daily

1984 Golf G60 Syncro - sold

1989 Rallye Golf - sold

1992 Corrado G60 - crushed

1989 Polo C - chopped and crushed

1991 309 Style - crushed

Back to the top
Is there such a thing as a manufacturers recommended running-in method, in terms of running hours, engine speed, and load?

Two friends of mine, both very competent engineers, recommend completely different methods, and both of these differ from the two methods above.

I'm confused!

Rich

Back to the top
The 1000 miles goes back to my Dad's recommendations during my brain forming years !! and those many hours helping him build engines etc etc - He would of been very proud of this one (even though I didn't build it !!) - A true engineer at heart.

The 1000 miles for me is a milestone to not go silly with it. I will gradually build the revs up and take them high but try and avoid the slap the throttle down approach. As you suggest building up in 4th gear is an approach that I take as well.

Love your calculations :-)

The bores are freshly cut to a 1.9l overbore and the pistons are forged low compression items - They should seal up very nicely.

I will be asking Jody on Saturday how many miles he would like to see on it before it goes back for a rolling road setup - would imagine an oil change will be done at the same time.

Ooooo I am getting so excited now :-)

I was always taught that rings and bores bed in better if you are careful during the first 1000 miles….

Cheers,
Ade

Banner

Back to the top
Hi ade, would you be able to tell us where you picked up the bahn brenner kit from ? it seems to be discontinued although it might still be possible to pick one up from the usa

Back to the top
Hi mate,
I bought the last kit from BBM a few years ago direct from the States.

I have been collecting these bits for a while !!

Take a look on VWVortex, the BBM MD, John Betz is very active on there, last I heard he was preparing to do anoter 50 run of the kits, there is that much interest in them.

Cheers,
Ade

Banner

Back to the top
Hi,

Went over to see the car today.

Heard it running  - sounded really sweet !!

Here are a few more pics of the progress, it still needs the water pipes plumbing in and the boost return pipe. It will be going over to Radtec to tidy up the intercooler pipes (gonna have them done in aluminium to remove most of the blue pipes) and make space for the boost return pipe !! They are just mocked up at the moment !!

And here is what the cable shifter looks like from the inside - will look OEM !!

Cheers,
Ade

Banner

Back to the top
Looks awesome that does bud :mrgreen:

Did the 16v conversion parts, all the extra mounting brackets etc, come from BBM?

Apparently they've stopped doing that kit now..

Greg

1981 Golf C 1.1
1982 Golf GTI
1992 Corrado G60
1999 Golf GT TDI

Back to the top
Thanks Greg

Yea it was the last kit BBM had in stock.

Apparently they are considering doing another run…

Cheers,
Ade

Banner

Back to the top
I wish I could have got hold of one, all the parts looked relitively easy to replicate in terms of machining and fabrication..

I take it thats the G60 throttle body, are you plumbing your boost return back to the charger?

I need to start collecting parts for mine I think!

Greg

1981 Golf C 1.1
1982 Golf GTI
1992 Corrado G60
1999 Golf GT TDI

Back to the top
At the moment there is just no room for the boost return pipe, but there will be once Radtec have made some custom intercooler pipes. I want the boost return in place as it plays a vital roll in keeping the charger lubricated. According to John Betz at BBM there is no gain in power in removing it, just a loss of lubrication and excess noise when the charge is dumped - he is strongly against removing it.

Collecting parts is a good thing, it is great looking for those elusive ones and spreads the cost to a point where there is no point adding it all up !! It has taken me 4 years to get to this point !!

Good luck with yours.

Cheers,
Ade

Banner

Back to the top
Just got off the phone to Jody at Midland VW.

He has had it on the dyno, just to make sure everything is behaving before it goes to RadTec to have the IC pipes made up.

Looks like the breather on top of the rocker cover will not be good enough, it pushed oil out of it :-(

The pipework will be routed so that the boost return can be incorporated and possibly a oil catch tank. Might even have an extra breather plumbed into the block to relieve the pressure - I think this is partially caused by the forged pistons which are a very tight fit !! and the fact that I am using the Rallyee 1H 8V block, which does not have the front breather.

Oh and it produced 230 bhp without even trying !!!
The belt on the G60 was not fully tightened and therefore not producing full boost.

The aim for the setup was 250bhp, so I am fairly confident that will be achieved when it is run it, charger on full boost and the set up tweaked !!

Cheers,
Ade

Banner

Back to the top
Well it has not progressed as quickly as I was hoping for !!

Radtec have taken 5 weeks to sort the IC pipes, boost return and breather/catch tank out.

They have finally finished their bit - made a good job, but I cannot see why it took soooooo long !!

It is back at Midland VW now, there are a few things left to do - so hopefully not too long now !!

Any way here are a few pics of the new pipework…

Cheers,
Ade

Banner

Back to the top
this is without a doubt, my most favourite engine conversion ever.

cant wait to see this car again, and the cabby too.

you both going to be at the agm?

Back to the top
Thanks Dean !!

Yep we should both be at the AGM - it is only 14 miles away from us, but still going to camp - even bought a tent :-)

Cheers,
Ade

Banner

0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.