Skip navigation

1985 Gti Cabby, 5 speed, 2.0 8v engine, sudden change in gear change, hard to select gears

Back to the top
Hi All
was our for a drive today in my new (to me) cabby.  Have driven it several times with no issue and the gear change had been very precise, not too loose or hard, no issues with selecting reverse by mistake… perfect in fact.

After a 20 minute spirited drive, got back near home an noticed it very difficult to find and select gears.  Movement of the shifter is suddenly very stiff / reluctant and its v hard to determine which gear you are selecting.  Gearbox appears to operate correctly in all gears once they are engaged, but it is almost impossible to drive it on the road safely.

So what have I done??? The sudden nature of the change (I think) precludes simple wear and tear being the cause, other than something somewhere must have fallen off, become disconnected or failed somehow?  It might have been my imagination, but at rest, in neutral, i think the gear stick is sitting further left than it used to.  Perhaps a bush has broken or I've lost a spring?  Should I even be checking engine / gearbox mounts are in place (considering it has an engine swap)?

Any pointers gratefully received. 

Back to the top
I would agree, soudns liek a linkage issue :) start here:
Gear Change Linkage - The Mk1 Golf Owners Club

Hello my name is John and I'm a dub addict.

My wiring diagrams and other documents have moved here:

VAG Documents & Downloads

You'll need to sign into google/gmail for the link to work! (its free!)

Back to the top
Thanks, I'd spotted that very useful looking "how to"…. guess that will be keeping me entertained some time when the weather is a little better!  If it is still intermittently stiff after changing all that, then it must be engine mounts.

Any ideas how to test effectiveness of engine mounts?

Back to the top
one way is to put the handbrake on and have a helper put it in 1st and lift the clutch to the biting point. if the engien tries to leap out of the bay you know your mounts want looking at :)

Hello my name is John and I'm a dub addict.

My wiring diagrams and other documents have moved here:

VAG Documents & Downloads

You'll need to sign into google/gmail for the link to work! (its free!)

Back to the top
Don't forget to also check if its a clutch issue, for example could be a frayed clutch cable or the bulkhead where it passes through has fractured - a not uncommon issue.

Back to the top
Or even clutch cable at the gearbox end at a funny angle and sawing it's way through the gearbox.

1988 Mk1 Golf GTi Cabriolet 1.8cc DX, K-jet. Daily drive. 317,000 miles and counting
1978 Mk1 Scirocco GLS 1.6cc FR, Webber carb. Weekend toy.

Back to the top
Thanks for all the suggestions.  Will check them all out when I get a bit more time (and sunshine!)

The problem has almost not recurred in the past few days so must be something transient (and minor I'm hoping)
Cheers
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.