Skip navigation

020 flange seal size

Back to the top
Hi,

Passenger side flange seal was dripping oil, so I decided to replace both sides.
I have it all dismantled now, but having doubts about the seal size, as the seals I removed doesn’t seem to be same size.
Drivers side is not as tall as passenger side. I can only read the measurements on the passenger side seal (65/50/10), but drivers side measures around 8mm… difficult to measure as I had to get rough with it, to remove it from the sleeve.

So - what should the size of the seal be?
Transmission is from 1982 according to the stamp, but it’s the newer conical 90mm flanges with a spring installed.

Back to the top
I think the newer seals are taller (thicker) than the originals - noticed they protruded a little more when I changed mine, but it all goes back together okay. You just have to drive them in as far as they'll go.

My rebuild thread I will try and keep up to date: here

K-Jet fuel pressure test guage How-To

Back to the top
I noticed the same on the passenger side - a few mm of the seal was visible. I just can't find any documentation on the change of size. I went through ETKA before ordering to be sure to get the correct size.

I will give it a try and put it all back together - thanks!

Back to the top
By they way, can oil leak from the outside of the green sleeve, or will leakage come from the seal in the sleeve?

Back to the top
The oil usually escapes via the seal, you need to leave the green sleeve in place.

I changed over to fully synthetic gearbox oil when I changed my seals, work's well in cold weather especially the 1st to 2nd gear change.

https://www.eurocarparts.com/p/triple-qx-ep-75w90-transmission-fluid-fully-syn-1-litre-522776022

Good website with all you ever wanted to know/do with the 020 gearbox.
Welcome to BrokeVW.com   

1988 Mk1 Golf GTi Cabriolet 1.8cc DX, K-jet. Daily drive. 317,000 miles and counting
1978 Mk1 Scirocco GLS 1.6cc FR, Webber carb. Weekend toy.

Back to the top
I didn't remove the sleeves since I don't have new ones. When I was reassembling I just wondered if I had seen the leak coming from the sleeve or seal. I don't see a gasket/seal for the sleeve, so I guess I can't leak oil?

I have been reading that site already, I stumbled across it last night - the guy knows his 020 transmission!

I have bought Shell oil with same specs, as it was on sale where I bought the other parts. The old oil was very mucky and looked burned.

Back to the top
Any new oil will help gearboxes as most of the time it's never changed and I expect the oil you got out is the stuff VW put in there…

I change my gearbox oil every 5 years or 50,000 miles, some on here do it every 4 years or 40,000 miles but I live out in Somerset so not much town/city driving with lots of stop, stating at traffic lights etc for me.

1988 Mk1 Golf GTi Cabriolet 1.8cc DX, K-jet. Daily drive. 317,000 miles and counting
1978 Mk1 Scirocco GLS 1.6cc FR, Webber carb. Weekend toy.

Back to the top
Brian as BrokeVW.com is the Expert on rebuilding gear boxes over here… (all but autos).. You can take all his info to the bank. You can email him a question, and he will get back to you.

As for me, I used the 75-90 wt in my gear boxes to no ill effect, and just checked the level in mine from time to time… 330K on my 81 Diesel and I only changed the box oil at Clutch time @ 130K.  

Now on my autos I have changed it with every swap that I have had to do, but that is for a matter of course.

The only time I have had to change a seal is when the inner CV on a Rebuild by CarDone Broke and well after the first seal change which took well over 4 hours to do because the broken shaft Peaned the end of the shaft to almost weld the clip in place Ruined the inner bearing race..costing me the Transmission, to which I made them refund me for a new tranny….So if your rebuilt over there says CARDONE your car will be Done if you use them….(over here, I got 2 bad Master Cylinders from the same rebuilder a couple of years before, so I should of known….) Only go new for MC's or rebuild your own.

What do Divorces, Great Coffee, and Car Electrics all have in common?

They all start with GOOD Grounds.

Where are my DIY Links?

Back to the top
If I would have to rebuild the complete transmission, I would by a spare for practice. With all the info at BrokeVW, it would be worth the try.
Do you happen to have a mail address for the guy behind BrokeVW? It might be handy to have at some point, and I can't find it on his site.

Back to the top
… And that's exactly why I have a spare box! Always wanted to rebuild one. Need to get the bloody car finished before I worry about that though.

My rebuild thread I will try and keep up to date: here

K-Jet fuel pressure test guage How-To
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.