Skip navigation

1991 Rivage Fusebox Relays

Back to the top
Hello,

1991 GTi Rivage.

I'm slowly working my way around the car's testing everything because I'm a pervert like that. I have noticed the idle speed boost valve isn't working and traced this back to a single relay block above the fusebox missing a relay. I've found it requires a relay No:57 (part no: 811905343). Simple fix hopefully!

However, it's made me question my other relays and god knows what's been changed or removed in the past 25 years. I've done some research but all I can find is generic fusebox info which doesn't really help as I don't know what I should have or shouldn't have on my specific car.

Is there anyone with a Rivage who can post up some fusebox pictures so I can compare?

Also, I have one more relay block above the fusebox, with a No:53 relay in it. Does anyone know what this is for?

Last edit: by MrP

1992 MK1 Golf GTi Rivage - Classic Blue Metallic - Long term project
1991 MK1 Golf GTi Rivage - Classic Green Pearl - Sold

Back to the top
compare this with the equipment yours has, and scroll near the bottom to check relay numbers and their functions:
http://www.clubgti.com/showthread.php?219775

check the wire colours to the relay above the fusebox. i suspect its the low coolant warning light control unit socket, if so the relay in there should be 42 or 43

Hello my name is John and I'm a dub addict.

My wiring diagrams and other documents have moved here:

VAG Documents & Downloads

You'll need to sign into google/gmail for the link to work! (its free!)

Back to the top

rubjonny said

compare this with the equipment yours has, and scroll near the bottom to check relay numbers and their functions:
http://www.clubgti.com/showthread.php?219775

check the wire colours to the relay above the fusebox. i suspect its the low coolant warning light control unit socket, if so the relay in there should be 42 or 43
DSC_0305 by Rich Perkins, on Flickr

DSC_0306 by Rich Perkins, on Flickr

There is mine.

So…

1   Open or Digifant relay - Mine has a relay #20 in there which is apparently for a rear wiper (on a cabby?   :lol:). What's going on here?
2   Fuel pump (fuel injection) Glow plugs (diesel) - Mine is the correct #63 (fuel pump relay without a limiter)
   Seat belt warning - Don't have this on my car
4   Shift light/MPG gauge relay (1985-1987) - Don't have this on my car
5   A/C relay - Don't have this on my car
6   Dual horns -  Mine is the correct #53 (I think?)
7   Open or front fogs -  Don't have this on my car but replaced with a 292 for lights on buzzer
8   Load reduction/x-over relay - Mine has #18, I think this is correct?
9   Open - Don't have this on my car
10   Windscreen wiper - Mine has #99 for intermittent wipers
11   Rear wiper - Don't have this on my car
12   Indicators, hazard switch - Mine is #21 which I assume correct as the hazards and indicators work

13   Open or electric windows - Have electric windows on my car
14   Cooling fan after-run (except 16-valve) - Should I have this?
15   Passive restraint (1988, 1989) or ABS/coolant temperature relay - Should I have this?
16   Idle speed boost control relay (k-jet 8v) - This should be #57 and know mine is missing and the empty relay base is position 18 (I've resistance checked the plug on the idle control valve to here)
17   A/C thermofuse or ABS -  Don't have either of these
18   Coolant warning light control relay -  Should I have this, How can I test my coolant light?
19   Electric window relay - Have electric windows on my car
20   Heated seats (left) -  Have heated seats on my car
21   Heated seats (right) - Have heated seats on my car
22   Oxygen sensor system power supply (US cars w/CIS) / Automatic transmission relay -  Don't have these
23   Electric window thermofuse (30A) - Have this
24   Glow plug fuse (Diesel-50A) - Don't have this

So, the #53 above my fuse box could be either heated seats, electric windows or coolant. Wire colours looks to be:
Blue/Red
x2 Brown
x2 Black/Yellow
x2 Yellow/Red

Any thoghts?

Back to the top
right! relay 20 in slot 1, remove and bin/store if you ever get a car with rear wipers :lol:

the relay socket above the fusebox with a 53 in it actually needs a 42 or 43 relay in there, its your coolant level warning socket.

metal thermal fuse is for the electric windows, one of the normal fuses above the fusebox is for the rear fog, the other one you'll have to chase it down to confirm what it is. the heated seats are fused from one of the main fuse at the bottom if oem fit :)

everything else is OK.

Interesting that the 292 fits in the fog relay socket, I assume it actually works?

Back to the top

rubjonny said

right! relay 20 in slot 1, remove and bin/store if you ever get a car with rear wipers :lol:the relay socket above the fusebox with a 53 in it actually needs a 42 or 43 relay in there, its your coolant level warning socket.

metal thermal fuse is for the electric windows, one of the normal fuses above the fusebox is for the rear fog, the other one you'll have to chase it down to confirm what it is. the heated seats are fused from one of the main fuse at the bottom if oem fit :)everything else is OK.

Interesting that the 292 fits in the fog relay socket, I assume it actually works?
Ok, I'll bin the #20 and the #53. I think I may have a #42/43 from one of my old cars knocking around so will try that and report back. If not I'll source one. eBay has loads, all from Lithuania though!  :lol:#292 was found on a thread through here a few months back. It's literally plug and play. Lights on, ignition off and BEEEEEEEEEEEP! Brilliant!

Are the rest of my relays correct? The #63 and #18 appear to be upside down, that an issue?

Last edit: by MrP

Back to the top
Ta daaaaaaaaa!

DSC_0308 by Rich Perkins, on Flickr

I found a relay 43 (I actually had 2!) and a 57 (with the sticker on) in my box of spare relays.

The coolant warning light now works - flashes with ignition then goes out again. If I pull the plug on the expansion tank the light flashes. Job done.

The idle speed boost also works. Get the revs lower than around 700rpm and it kicks in.

I removed the relay 20 (made no difference) and cleaned up the existing and swapped the casings over so they face the correct way.

The car also seems to idle with the warm up cycle much better too. Winner.

Although now my passenger window has stopped working, I must have knocked something. Always the way!  :lol:

Thank you very much (once again) Mr rubjonny - Gentleman as always.  :wub:

Back to the top
One more for you Mr rubjonny  - The x4 relays in the boot for the electric roof.  Should they all be #79?

I have three #79 and one #99.  :lol:  

Back to the top

MrP said

One more for you Mr rubjonny  - The x4 relays in the boot for the electric roof.  Should they all be #79?

I have three #79 and one #99.  :lol:  

Fixed.

Replaced the #99 with a #79 (for reference it was second from right).

As it turns out, the #99 allowed the roof to be operated with the ignition on and engine running. Although the roof would also operate with the tonneau cover in place.

However with all four relays being a #79, the roof only operates with the key in ignition, not ignition on or engine running. Also with the tonneau cover in place the roof will not operate. As per factory.

Thinking about it, my car had an issue with an incorrect ignition switch (without a key live). I think this #99 was to overcome this.

Back to the top
99 is a variable intermittent wiper relay from a mk3, quite random that it would work and allow the roof to work with engine running :lol:

Back to the top

rubjonny said

99 is a variable intermittent wiper relay from a mk3, quite random that it would work and allow the roof to work with engine running :lol:

Indeed. #99 has the same pin layout and orientation as #79. I can't tell if someone who did this knew what they were doing or fluked it!  :lol:

Back to the top

rubjonny said

metal thermal fuse is for the electric windows, one of the normal fuses above the fusebox is for the rear fog, the other one you'll have to chase it down to confirm what it is. the heated seats are fused from one of the main fuse at the bottom if oem fit :)

Just to update on this for future reference.

Metal fuse was for the roof.
Red fuse for the rear fog light.
Yellow for the electric windows.

I pulled one at a time then tested which device had stopped working.   :thumbs:

0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.