Skip navigation

opinions on best 020 box on an abf

Back to the top
planning on putting an abf in my gti but not sure which gearbox would suit it best, I have a few 020 boxes to choose from, i have 2y 16v mk2, 8v gti mk2, mk1 1.5, mk3 TD also an FH and  4S codes,

i have a KR engine in my caddy that i have tried the FH and 2Y code boxes on but found them either too long or too short ratios for what i want. i have a mk2 8v gti box in there now and suits it better.

however the abf has more torque and the golf is a bit lighter.

any opinions what would be the best choice for good acceleration but also a long 5th gear for motorways etc 

Back to the top
I would consider the box I was going to use when I was doing a similar project a few years ago,  that is the box from the 2 ltr 8 v mk3 golf gti, if I remember correctly 5th is good for about 23 mph per 1000 revs.

Back to the top
depends what you want. 1.6 gti box is amazing for acceleration but 5th is short for cruising, mk2 8v/16v gti boxes taller in all gears but still sporty enough for great acceleration and taller 5ths, the 8v one is slightly taller than 16v. the 2.0 8v box is again taller thru all the gears but not bad, you have the torque to make use of it.

with all the 020 boxes the 5th gear is easy to swap out.

I'm running a mk2 16v box which is great, though 5th is a little short. i was planning to swap a 2.0 8v gear in to give me better cruising, but ive decided im gonna go for an 02S 6 speed box at some point in the future instead

Hello my name is John and I'm a dub addict.

My wiring diagrams and other documents have moved here:

VAG Documents & Downloads

You'll need to sign into google/gmail for the link to work! (its free!)
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.