Skip navigation

small block 1272 GF and VDO gauges

Back to the top

small block 1272 GF and VDO gauges

WOld love to know how  the oil pressure and temp VDO console guages connected to a 1272cc (GF) standard small block
I have a 0-5 bar oil pressure  and oil temp gauge up to 170 deg celcius
I would like to preserve the oil light on dash so i presume am looking for dual pole oil pressure sender (not sure which one - diff pressure ratings dep on location?)

Would really appreciate part no.s of appropriate sender/sensors and their locations

PS whats a good gauge oil pressure and temp for a GF?

Many thanks

Nik

Back to the top
Oh, …and will the pressure sender (i presume M10) fit physically where the oil pressure switch is  with out a T piece etc - GF head

Back to the top
oil pressure switches on a small block are on the back of the head, have a good look and see if you think there is enough room for the larger dual pole sender. also, if you have 2 oil pressure switches you'll have to get a T piece no matter what as there wont be enough tappings to fit the oil temp in there. if you have the one pressure switch then see if there is a blanking plug for the other oil tapping, if not again you'll need a T piece.

other thing to check if its just the 1 switch is what rating it is, this will determine which oil pressure sender you use as there are 2 types, one for the high pressure 1.8bar switch and one for the low pressure 0.25/0.3bar switch.

if you dont have a 1.8 or 0.3 bar sender then you'll have to use a T piece or maybe even 2 and keep the original sender(s)

Hello my name is John and I'm a dub addict.

My wiring diagrams and other documents have moved here:

VAG Documents & Downloads

You'll need to sign into google/gmail for the link to work! (its free!)

Back to the top
Many thanks John. Your expertise never fails to impress!
I didn't realise there was such a variability in what swtiches a GF would have. Would it be a safe bet to get a dual pole sensor 0.3 bar  and an M10 T piece?
If there are 2 switches on the GF head, it it better to go for one rather than the other with a sender?

Back to the top
yeah just need to check what you have, then you can decide your options :)

i know that big blocks use 0.3 and 1.8bar senders but I'm not so sure what the small block uses. also early mk1s only use 1 pressure switch for the dash so that leaves a spare oil tapping.

once you find out what your sensor(s) are then you can decide the options for your vdo pressure sender, the most common is 0.3 bar warning, 0-5bar gauge. you can get 1.8bar warning ones, plus some are for 1-10bar gauge too.

it doesnt really matter what you get and where you put it, just that the pressure sensor is the right spec for the gauge and dash buzzer circuit, and ou replace the right pressure warning switch :)

Back to the top
Thanks, wish i could take a pic. I've seen a 0.3 bar dual pole sendor (0-5)bar M10 screw which i hope will be ok  for either cylinder head sensor (or just the low pressuer one)
Is it better to get a single pole sender and use a T piece for the sake of the original oil light switch?
  PS. Which /Where's the best place for an oil temp sensor/switch for the oil temp switch?

Back to the top
the 0.3 bar oen is designed to replace the 0.25/0.3 bar blue/brown switch, not any of the others. the white 1.8bar switch works the opposite way so that definitely wouldnt work.

the oil sender will need to go into the other hole along with the 2nd pressure switch using a T piece, failing that you can get sump plug adaptors and dipstick sensors

Back to the top
Many thanks John!  You're a legend.

Nik :D
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.