Skip navigation

re boring 1.3 1340cc is it worth it?

Back to the top

re boring 1.3 1340cc is it worth it?

hi there basically my engine is knackerd its spitting oil from the breather and its the piston rings so i may be getting it re built the boys at my dads work said you may aswell get it rebored to 1340 and put a cam in itto make it abit nippier and a twin choke carb, obviously im going to need new pistons etc, is it worth doing? is there anything im forgetting

sproutsy

Back to the top
anyone?

sproutsy

Back to the top
would have thought it would be cheaper to chuck a replacement endine in.  there loads of choice as all the engines fitted to the polos up to early 2000 will slot in without much work, esp if you stick with a carbed setup.

Back to the top
Capacity increases generally give a low-mid range torque improvement but little exta top end power unless the breathing is improved via better carburation and improved head flow.

Cams… dont over-cam for road use, again, unless breathing is improved and c.r raised to suit.

The 1300 can be a good little engine tho.

www.jmrclubsport.com

Back to the top
hmmm, i rally dont know what to do, ideall id like a polo gt engine but its the wiring and the reloaction on the gearbox mount that puts me off :/

sproutsy

Back to the top
You can bring the non GT engine up to a decent spec for the size. I have a customer/friend down here with bike carbs on his 1300. I did a head for him on std valves a while back which he should have running soon… that should make around 80hp.

One of the biggest problems is the std piston location… they are a long way from the top of the block, combined with a thick-ish head gasket it gives not only a low compression ratio but poor squish.

We looked into taller pistons from a different 1300 engine code to get them closer to the top, and then skim the block to do the rest. If you re-boring then the extra capacity is worth going for as the pistons are usually the same price or not much more.

www.jmrclubsport.com

Back to the top
hmmmm got a quote for a re build and rebore for 2k :/ think i may just source a 1.3 block then go from there, re borings just to much and its very hard to find the pistons. thankyou for your help though.

sproutsy

Back to the top
WHAT!!! 2K!

Are they into robbing people up there!

A re-bore is £100, pistons should be no more that 200 quid… I can get custom forged pistons done for 600 quid and thats overkill.

Post up your engine code and I'll have a look at the std piston options if you like. I cant remember where we got to with the one down here, I'm sure we found a piston that was taller. The engine code will help as they vary a lot on the small block engines.."GF" is one that springs to mind.. some have flat heads, some chambered with obvious differences in pistons.

www.jmrclubsport.com

Back to the top
ok where can i find the engine code? really appreciate this help as im no mechanic, thanks

sproutsy

Back to the top
No probs at all..

Stamped on the block, or, you should find it on your logbook doc. It'll list the engine number, in amongst that number will be the code.

www.jmrclubsport.com

Back to the top
ok ill check tommorow morning, just found a place that do exchange engines for 499 so say i give mine and they give me a re conditioned re built one,

sproutsy

Back to the top
Thats a fair price. The only downside is it'll have all the negatives of the std engine… particularly lack of compression and squish. Building your own version with a different piston and some basic machining will give a much better result for similar money.

www.jmrclubsport.com

Back to the top
yeah i guess, its knowing what to have though, :/

sproutsy

Back to the top
An engine with more compression and squish will be far more efficient. .More power..better on fuel. .More responsive. And you get to know what's inside if you do it yourself.

www.jmrclubsport.com

Back to the top

JMRacing said

WHAT!!! 2K!

Are they into robbing people up there!

A re-bore is £100, pistons should be no more that 200 quid… I can get custom forged pistons done for 600 quid and thats overkill.

Post up your engine code and I'll have a look at the std piston options if you like. I cant remember where we got to with the one down here, I'm sure we found a piston that was taller. The engine code will help as they vary a lot on the small block engines.."GF" is one that springs to mind.. some have flat heads, some chambered with obvious differences in pistons.
Re boring 1.3 1340cc is it worth it?

Hi bought an 1984 mk1 , have been spending lots of money on it.

It is a 1300cc Donkey. want to make it faster.
I am new to motor mechanics, no idea about what makes speed.So mind the mistakes wth the language or terms just relaying what I have been told.

I have had suggestions to go 2ltr ABF ,, etc

I have met an old man(engineer) who wants to assist me
Bore it to 1340, bigger carrevelle, Balanced pistons, shortened conrods , as the blocks been cut,1600 head, with cam
Turbo, with throttle bodies, dual injector system, branch, intercooler.
Carbon Fibre Button clutch, thinned flywheel. 
New engine mountings.
DRY SUMP! with a can in boot for oil.

He says this car wll be racing quick. 300 bhp

Could this be true or is he trying to rip me off?

Back to the top
Wouldn't want the bill for that (running properly/reliably)

Back to the top

trevmk1oldschool said

I am new to motor mechanics, no idea about what makes speed.So mind the mistakes wth the language or terms just relaying what I have been told.

Bore it to 1340, bigger carrevelle, Balanced pistons, shortened conrods , as the blocks been cut,1600 head, with cam
New engine mountings.

There's a reason why people tend to gravitate towards the well-known engine conversions such as 16V, G60, 20vT. There's a lot of parts available off-the-shelf from scrappies, there's a lot of info out there on how to make it work, look neat, not cost too much and perform well. For example 300bhp is quite achievable with a chipped 20vT which started out as the 225bhp version. By all means try something different though.

Back to the top

stroutsy said

hi there basically my engine is knackerd its spitting oil from the breather and its the piston rings so i may be getting it re built the boys at my dads work said you may aswell get it rebored to 1340 and put a cam in itto make it abit nippier and a twin choke carb, obviously im going to need new pistons etc, is it worth doing? is there anything im forgetting

From your description it doesn't sound like the engine is too healthy.  However, before you part with any cash for rebore/new engine I'd definately do a compression test to confirm what's going on inside the engine you've got.

Back to the top

trevmk1oldschool said

New engine mountings.

Not so much ripping you off but talking rollocks!

A decent 1300/1340 can be built with a ported head, cam, nice exhaust, and not cost the thousands yr man is dreaming about!

The above would still be insurance friendly. Or you could look at an 1800-2ltr 8v conversion…decent grunt, loads available, cheap.

Or as suggested maybe a 16v conversion…plenty of 1800KR or 2ltr 9A/ABF engines about…all work well and would be a big jump from the 1300….and can be further tuned for more perfomance without spending a fortune…a real world 140-180hp in a Mk1 Golf is a quick car for sensible money.

www.jmrclubsport.com

Back to the top

trevmk1oldschool said

New engine mountings.

Seams very ambitious, can't help but thing a 1.8t conversion would be cheaper
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.