Skip navigation

mk2 1300 hk engine in mk1, help on some info plz

Back to the top

mk2 1300 hk engine in mk1, help on some info plz

hi there, i have some r6 carbs to go on my 1300 (hk) mk2 engine, thats in my mk1.
whats the chances of me having the mk2 head on it or the mk1 head on it? as i need to send them a inlet gasket for them tomake my custom manifold to fit my engine. but i am abit confused  :banghead:  :dontknow: as i didnt put the engine in, it was like this when i bought it. does the mk1 head fit on the mk2 block, and visa versa, as the gaskets for the mk1 and mk2 heads are diffrent and i need to know what head i have on it asap to get my manifold made up. all the helpmuch appreciated!

chears all
simon

i always have the last laugh ;)

Login to a private Photobucket.com album

ERROR: A link was posted here (url) but it appears to be a broken link.

http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f27/sim0n_parker/paulforwebsite.jpg

<a href="

Back to the top
the mk1 and mk2 head are totaly different, have a look at some photos if your unsure of what you have, they are interchangable! the main difference is how the carb is heated, ie the mk1 is heated off the exhaust whereas the mk2 one is water heated, an easy way to tell is ithe mk1 head will have a pipe leading up underneath the carb, also the mk2 head will only have three bolts holding the rocker cover on.

Back to the top
Well that's all wrong….

The carb heating has nowt to do with the head.

And the MK2 1.3 HK engine is the Solid lifter engine the same as the MK1.. There for it has the same rocker cover not the 3 bolt rocker cover of the Hydraulic head 1.3 from later 1.3's.

Gasket sets should realy be interchangable between the 1.1,1.3 and 1.3 Hydro head  as the bolt, waterway and oilways are all in the same place.. The blocks are all prety much the same..

TT

Back to the top
im confused now  :?  
any oterwayof  telling what head i have, i have the water heated manifold, and my rocker cover has more then 3 bolts holding it on,
i need to find out by the wkend as i have to get my bike carbs and manifold gasket orderd and sent of by then,
help muchappreciated
many thanks

simon

<a href="

Back to the top
ok i may have had some info wrong there on the HK engine code as i thought all the water heated manifolds were hydralic heads, and therefore had the 3 bolts holding the rocer cover on, that now seems incorect, i'll have a look on ETKA now.

Back to the top
Mk1 Head

Mk1 Manifold

MK2 Head

MK2 Manifold

sorry for teh size, does that help at all ?

Back to the top
erm not really sure,i think thats the one for the mk1 1300 engine, i have the mk1 golf but with the mk2 engine in (engine code hk) the year is 1983 aswell, sorry for the hassel  :oops:

would you beable topullapicupofthat one please?

thepart numberws on that list?? are they vw part numbers? and do you know where the part numbers are located on the head??

many thanks and much appreciated

simon

<a href="

Back to the top
dude, have you got a photo of your engine ?

it sounds to me like you have a mk2 bottom end and a mk 1 head, probably due to a failure of the bottom end,  and complexities of fitting the mk2 head in a mk1.

yes the part numbers are the VAG ones, can you see a long metal pipe leading up to the bottom of your carb?

Back to the top
no i cant,
i have a pierburg carb on it, with the water pipes going into the manifold
there was a slight crack along the back of the head and it looks like someone has gone way way over the top on the old liqued metal, all over the numbers on the head, so i have managed to get most of it of, heres a pic of my engine

chears

<a href="

Back to the top
heres the numbers i can make out on my vcylinder head,
0 3 ?6? 1 0 3 3 7 this is kind of in the center at the back near the carb cant makje out if its a 6 or what

then on  the left  i have 023 and 60

any ideas?

chears

<a href="

Back to the top
dude, now im confused, it looks like its a mixture of the two engines, and to be hones i've never seen one before, i would say of the two imlet manifold gaskets, you need the bottom one that i posted, that is one from the mk2 engine.

Mark

Back to the top
would you beable to post up one of them pics for a hk engine? do yoo know what them numbers are on the head? many thanks
best bet i can do is get both gaskets, strip the inlet manifold and see what one fits, would like to find out though before, kinda saves me money in the long run lol,

got abit of a mix/match engine then by the sounds of it lol
many thanks

<a href="

Back to the top
ok i think i have sussed it, it looks like the readon you havent got a pipe up from the exhaust, is that you have an electric heater, this is the manifold for the HK engine, see PN on the Right, so this gasket, is deffenatly the right one.
BTW the HK  PN is 036103354B

Back to the top
I think the point is that it doesn't matter which gasket you send off (from HK or GF inlet), because the inlet you are ordering will be able to fit your head (whether that be from a mk2 or mk1).

Couldn't you just send off the gasket currently on your head?

Back to the top
HK is a 1985 MK2 engine..

Solid cam followers.
Pierburg 2e3 Carb
Water heating of inlet
Water and electric choke

TT

Back to the top
not acording to ETKA, if you have a look that is the inlet manifold for a HK engine.

Back to the top
right, im going to go with that i h ave the mk2 1300 head on, going to order the mk2 inlet gasket and make sure its the right one before i send it of. was gona send of the one thats on it but i need the car as its my daily runabout too. so will go for that idea i reckon.

many thanks for the quick and speedy replys, much appreciated!

will let you know how i get on.

simon

<a href="

Back to the top
The HK is a Mk2 engine from Polos and Golfs.  Its a solid tappet head so has the 8-bolt rocker cover.

You can order either an HK or GF inlet manifold gasket because the bits you don't need on the GF gasket can just be trimmed off.

I'd be inclined to order the inlet manifold gasket from a 1993 Polo Mk3 GT with a 3F engine - I can ABSOLUTELY GUARANTEE that this will fit - 100%! :)

Best of luck - out of interest, what fuel system are you fitting?

Back to the top
cool, im going to be running the yamaha r6 set of 4 carbs in a row, at the mo running my standerd ( but more or less new)  fuel pump, have been looking at the facet red top electric fuel pump with a filter king, does that sound about right for these carbs? if you were doing this conversion, what would you do? ( please bear in mind im on a budget  :lol: and trying to keep price to a minium but not useing crappy stuff)

many thanks,

simon

<a href="

Back to the top
Your gona have to let us see it once the conversions done!! :wink:   It sounds like a really effective and cheap way to make 1.3's sound and go quicker, I may have to do it myself sometime! :mrgreen:

Am I right in thinking those Facet fuel pumps are very expensive?  I'm sure I read on the other thread that all you need is a fuel pressure regulator on the original pump? :dontknow:
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.