Skip navigation

Mk1 Golf 1100 Oil flowing out the dipstick tube

Back to the top

Oil flowing out of the dipstick tube

Hi all, started her up this morning and oil began flowing out of the dipstick tube. I removed the crankcase breather piping (have not yet removed the breather itself). The pipe that fits onto the breather splits in two one of which runs down below the sump to nothing and the other runs up to the rocker cover. Am I right in thinking that the fact that the oil is coming out the dipstick rather than an open pipe on the breather must mean the breather must be gunked? But I cant understand why this has just started as i've been driving the car for a few weeks now. Also where does the second, larger pipe that comes of the breather go?

Matt

Last edit: by mattbibby

Back to the top
Once you remove the breather itself you'll also need to check the hole in where the breather sits is clear all the way into the sump, this is normally is bunged up. Use a welding rod or stiff wire coat hanger to clear. Sounds like you've the wrong hose on there as the pipe should run to the air cleaner.

Back to the top

Cero said

Once you remove the breather itself you'll also need to check the hole in where the breather sits is clear all the way into the sump, this is normally is bunged up. Use a welding rod or stiff wire coat hanger to clear. Sounds like you've the wrong hose on there as the pipe should run to the air cleaner.

Hi, cheers for the reply. Removed breather and all seemed clean though a little crud came out when cleaned. When drained there was only about 2 litres in there so must have lost quite a bit. Have now put fresh oil in and this has stopped happening but it hasn't been run warm at all. So i think that problem is solved. However.. It is now only running on cylinders 1 and 4, have swaped/checked all plugs round and htc leads and has had new dizzy+arm. Have done a compression test just and compressions are 1: 12 bar 2: 8 bar 3: 12 bar and 4: 13 bar. My dad says 8 bar is ok to run but obviously it is low. Have had the head of and inspected valves and pistons/bore all looks fine structurally but cylinders 2+3 are very oily along with plugs. Head gasket is fine.

Should I next be looking at condenser, coil, points? Cheers

Matt

Back to the top
Also, when inspecting the exhaust valves they were all quite burnt but functioned correctly and seated well.

Back to the top
Take a used but good spark plug and ground it where you can see it. Pull lead off 2 attach to this spark plug, start the car and check you are actually getting a spark, then do the same with number 3. If you are then re-check your existing spark plug(s) and make sure they are gapped correctly. If not then re-check the leads back to & including the cap.
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.