Skip navigation

mk1 1300 driver tuning help??

Back to the top

mk1 1300 driver tuning help??

Looking to make my mark 1 driver quicker but would liek to keep the original motor is their any cams or performance manifolds that can be bought or other tuning parts??

Back to the top
Webber carb
Bike carbs?
High Lift cam not sure on what Degree?
4,2,1 stainless manifold then a straight through Stainless Steel exhaust??

Simple things like that id presume….

Back to the top

luke_mk3 said

Webber carb
Bike carbs?
High Lift cam not sure on what Degree?
4,2,1 stainless manifold then a straight through Stainless Steel exhaust??

Simple things like that id presume….

i know what i need its more a case of i cant find anything so does anyone know where/what company do  high comp pistons high lift long duration cams, already have a weber

Back to the top
Stick a mk3 Polo GT engine in it  :wink:

My brother tried tuning the 1.3 in his mk1 & gave up

engine was from a mk2 Golf, so higher compression than a mk1 & hydraulic tappet head

First off he put a Polo GT manifold, de-cat downpipe & custom single box system on it….. made it rev a bit better, but didn't seem to give it any more power

Then fitted a Weber carb (DMTL) & just could not get the jetting right….. it was either flat & good on fuel or fast & rubbish on fuel….. even went to Bogg Brothers & still not great

He converted it to multipoint fuel injection not long after…… used parts from an NZ engine code mk3 Polo (the one down from a GT)

…..

Hardest part to converting the car to fuel injection was the wiring…… well not really hard, but takes time to strip a Polo engine bay loom back to the minimum needed to run the engine……. think it was 4 wires on our Matt's car

……

You can probably get a cam & high compression pistons for a mk1's 1.3……. but it maybe expensive

You can build a 1391cc Polo GT engine using a block from an early mk3 Golf 1.4 (or Ibiza) & 276 degree Schrick cams are easily available…… this would give you nearly 100 bhp & still very good on fuel

I've got on of these engines & used it in 2 different mk3 Polo's……. 60 mph in just under 8 seconds, 1/4 in 16.4, real life 120 mph on the track & nearly 400 miles to a tank if you take it easy

Paul  :wink:

Back to the top
I've been looking for cams for Matt's Driver - Schrick don't do them now, Piper don't want to do them (although they WILL reprofile a stock cam). Kent don't do them, neither do Newman or Catcams

It seems that if you have a 1272 mechanical-head engine, you're stuck with <70 bhp, unless you get handy with a Dremel on the head, or you can stand the cost of getting bike carbs set up properly

Back to the top
i was thinking about doing stuff to my 1.1 or getting a 1.3 and doing it up but… you can do a 1.8 gti conversion for not much more than 200 quid if you find the right parts and what will give you alot more bang for not alot of buck.

you can spend thousands on lightened flywheels, head work, cams and carbs and still only get a fraction of what you can get with a gti engine with light work…

if you want to stick to the stock 1.3 engine then stick to it as it is, you will only waist money in the long run.

im saying this in the knowledge that i have tried on other cars to release more power but in the essence of things all you will end up with is highly tuned small power, its great saying "yeah its fast for a 1.3" but you will still get people steam past you :(
i know how frustrating it is, im only 21 and i got a 1.1. all my mates got new cars with 1.7s and 2.0 ltr engines and they leave me behind all the time :P

i dont mind, mine doesn't brake down :P
and one day i will drop a big block in it and smile as i pass them all!!

sorry if this seems like a bit of a lecture but i would hate to see you throw the amounts of money away i have when you can achieve big power at small costs with just a another engine :(

dont hate me :P

cheeers!

booze and boredom, the greatest mix :)

Back to the top
just g40 it!

1272 driver with a magic tree!!

Back to the top
yeah man!!! but there expensive arent they? if not ill do it! lol

booze and boredom, the greatest mix :)

Back to the top
or you could just fit a polo gt head to yours… along with bike carbs and then have a look on clubpolo/polo3 at what cams best suit what engine as the polo got the same small block engines early on.

Thats probably my plan for my 1.1 for now.

Jon.
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.