Skip navigation

1983 1300 Engine Code

Back to the top

1983 1300 Engine Code

hi. i have a 1983 mk1 golf with a 1300 8-valve and am trying to find out the engine code. can anyone help?

dave

Back to the top
Hello DavE36

The 1.3 Engine code is GF - on the flange on the front left of the engine (looking from the front backwards) halfway down at the timing belt end.

Andy  8)

Back to the top
thats brilliant. thankyou for your help

Dave

Back to the top
hi i have a mk2 polo and im lookin for the same thing but cant find it any where, can ne1 help?

Back to the top
They are not all GF coded engines!  :banghead:
It should be on your log book section under Vehicle details, and is probably on the info plate under the bonnet.

Back to the top
all i have is the engine, i went into my local vw dealership and matey said it will start with 1 of the following letters HZ MH NZ NU PY ZG 3F MN or AAK. ive looked all over my engine but cant find nothing

Back to the top
go to the flywheel end and have a good old scrap with a wire brush on the area just beneath the head and above the fly, thats where you will find it :D

Rusty Hookers Dub Club

Back to the top
get on cheers m8

Back to the top
im looking fot exactly the same code

ive found a number but it begins with GU and it was very near where you described but its on the gearbox, any chance this could be it or can u give me come better directions

thanks
sam

Back to the top
sam_m if the engine is in the car then the engine number will be on your V5. the engine number is allways stamped on the block so ignore the number on your box. i,ve had a good look at my scrap collection, ops i mean cars. the hydraulic head engines have the number stamped on the gearbox end just beneath the thermostat housing but above the box. the mechanical head engines have it stamped on top of the block in the front left hand corner, right next to the left hand engine mount.
hope this helps

Rusty Hookers Dub Club

Back to the top
the mk2 polo i got the head off was a 1300 and thats a MH! polo's have a sticker in the boot under the carpet around about under passenger side taill ight! has chassis number and gear box amongst other bits hope that helps!

Back to the top
If it is a 1983 MK1 golf engine and is a 1.3, you need to take the cylinder head off to get the engine code as the cylinder head hides it.

It is as posted previously on the left hand side on the top (Pulley end not gearbox end) it should be just in front of the first bore on the top of the block.

I'll take a picture of one I've got in the garage and try to figure out how to post it.
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.