Skip navigation

vented disks 239mm??

Back to the top

vented disks 239mm??

Hello,

i would like to know if i can put vented disks in my existing brakes, which are 239mm (not vented), my car is the 1300 LS model, but i have put a 1800 8V motor. Will these brakes be reliable? I dont wish to spent money know in order to get bigger brakes.

Thank you.

Back to the top
im not 100% but im think vented/non vented pads are different widths. so if none vented discs are fitted then thicker pads are used and vice versa.
have you got a parts supplier were you could check the thickness of the different combinations before you buy?

82 Golf Gti. The snail project (abf turbo one day)

Saab 93 diesel daily

Back to the top
to be honest just changing from solid to vented wont make much difference. try to get some mk2 16v 256 discs and callipers plus fit the bigger servo, and it will stop much better. i think the 1300ls callipers that you have on now wont handle the extra weigh of the bigger engine, its alright making a car go faster but you need to stop it faster too!!! its basically about the size of the brake pad that is most important- bigger calliper =bigger pads

Back to the top
If you struggle to get bits for this upgrade, there's a few threads and FAQ's about the Vaux brake upgrade to lots of standard sizes.

89 Clipper Cab 20v (97% done!)
97 Peugeot Expert (daily, £510 off of ebay!)
06 Audi A3 (Wifes daily)

Back to the top
no, you need to change the calipers and carriers for VWII ones. calipers from any 1.5-1.8 mk1/cabby/scirocco and mk3 polo will do you, unless the mk1 is reeeeealy early. you'll know as it'll have square pads like you have now.  calipers are easier to find,. they're found on mk1,2,3 polo g40, seats, polos etc. just look on the outside for 'VWII' cast into em :)

only other potential problem is the flexi lines, some of the very late vags may have banjo fittings. start by changing the servo for mk2 1.8 9" servo and fit a late 16v/g60 22mm master cylinder.

That should improve the brakes a fair bit. there is nothing wrong with the vented 239mm setup they do work well, but only if the rest of the system is setup properly. make sure the crossbar doesnt have too much slack (you need a bit as when thing heat up they expand)

Hello my name is John and I'm a dub addict.

My wiring diagrams and other documents have moved here:

VAG Documents & Downloads

You'll need to sign into google/gmail for the link to work! (its free!)

Back to the top
hello,

In order to make it clear, the calipers which will write on VWII are the ones that have dimension 239mm and are vented? Can i change the servo with the one that wore the gti 9'' and the master cylinder with a 22 one?

Thank you,

Back to the top
yep!

servo use mk2 9", all 1.8 models had em regardless. suitable one is also found on corrado and passat b3/4. abs ones still fit too, just have extra sensor on servo which you leave unplugged. 22mm master cylinder from g60 mk2 and late 16v then goes straight on, just buy this new as its cheap. any mk2 fluid reservoir then pops right onto it

Hello my name is John and I'm a dub addict.

My wiring diagrams and other documents have moved here:

VAG Documents & Downloads

You'll need to sign into google/gmail for the link to work! (its free!)
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.