Skip navigation

256mm carrado front brakes

Back to the top

256mm carrado front brakes

ive searched just about everywhere for some advice on brake upgrade !!! ive got some 16v 256mm carrado front calipers and hangers…can anyone please tell me what else i need,

many thanx

Back to the top
Hi dubber-dude

There is loads of advice on the site (there have been plenty of posts on this very subject - I tried to post you a link to the braking FAQ'S but I couldn't get the moduele to work at the moment

If you use the search tool Button above (the button marked search with the magnifying glass on it) - in the top centre and type in "256mm upgrade" it will bring up lots of posts regarding the subject.

However, the Corrado caliper carriers (hangers) have a different (larger) distance between the carrier bolt holes than a Mk1 golf - and therfore regretably, the carrier will not bolt on to a Mk1 hub. The difference is about 20mm from memory.

The larger Corrado (and many other similar) larger calipers need a caliper carrier (hanger) off the very rare 16v Scirroco (not officially imported into the UK) or a carrier of an early Audi 80 / coupe (the angular shaped 1980's one and there are probably other cars too) to be able to bolt on to the mk1 hub.

The right cariers (hangers) come up from time to time on this forum or Ebay or even ebay.com - but in case of ebay make sure the carriers are the right ones to bolt onto MK1 hubs.

I hope this steers you in the right direction, but the larger brakes together with the larger servo and Master cylinder are a big improvement over the standard brakes and well worth the hassle in finding the carriers (see the brake upgrade section on the LHS -  The Mk1 Golf Owners Club .

hope this helps

regards
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.