Skip navigation

1991 cabriolet wheels rubbing on arches

Back to the top

1991 cabriolet wheels rubbing on arches

hey. I had 4 people in the car the other day for the first time and the wheels kept on rubbing against the arches with every little bump i hit in the road. it doesnt do this with 2 people in. obviously its just soft suspension, but what can i do to fix this? would some new coilovers do the job?

i have 15" g60 steels on with low profile yokohama tyres on the car.

thanks

Back to the top
can anyone help  :D  :dontknow:

Back to the top
What size are the tyres?

James

Click for Berkshire Mk1's>>> Facebook

Back to the top
the tryres are Yokohama S-drive, 195/45R15 78W. i have no idea what this means lol

Back to the top
Well the 195 is the width of the tyre, 45 is the height of the tyre, 15 is the size of the wheels & the W is the speed rating of the tyre.

I think your options are,
Fit 185 size tyres to your wheels
or
Grind your arches down alittle
or
Fit stiffer surspenion
or
Just don't take 4 people in your car ;)

James

Click for Berkshire Mk1's>>> Facebook

Back to the top
i will go with the cheapest option. Dont take 4 people in the car. Thanks for your help  :)

Back to the top

freeman said

i will go with the cheapest option. Dont take 4 people in the car. Thanks for your help  :)
If your arches are solid, get them rolled….you can hire a roller from Ebay for not alot of money…

***PM for all your powder coating needs***

Back to the top
ok thanks. have you done this before and did it work? does it do any damage to the arches?

Back to the top
im having the same issue with g60 steels i have 185/55/r15 tires but even just with me in it if you hit lumpy roads or anything it will
scrub. the passenger side front is worst the backs are fine as the wheels seem to be set further back in the arch.

all i was planning is when she comes off the road for winter to roll the arches and trim back the plastic arch and fit stiff suspension as is soft as dog poo atm.

Back to the top
strange how its just my back wheels do it but the front ones are fine. I just remembered i have spacers on my wheels, i just left them on when i took some old alloys off. maybe that might take the wheels in a little bit and stop it rubbing.

good luck with whatever you do though mate, let me know how it goes if you decide to roll the arches.
 :D

Back to the top
i will probably panel beat mine instead of as she will get painted after
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.