Skip navigation

1991 Cabriolet: mk1 or mk2 parts?

Back to the top

1991 Cabriolet: mk1 or mk2 parts?

I need to replace my front wheel bearing housing on my 1991 Cabriolet (it was chewed up by a wheel bearing that siezed).  Could anyone tell me if the Refurbished Front Hub Assembly Kit from "crazy quiffs" mk1 emporium is suitable?

http://www.golfmk1.co.uk/Items.php?cat=mech&group=FRONTAXLE

I've not yet found a simple answer as to what parts remained mk1 on the cabriolet and what changed to mk2 after the mk2 golf came out in 1985.

Thanks.

Back to the top
Hi mate,
my cabby is an 88 and I called GSF about a starter motor and apparently it's a mk2 one.
Give them a call and they will sort you out. they have a link on the left

<—————————————————–

"Making Cabbies More Beautiful One Roof at a Time" 

Back to the top

Re: 1991 Cabriolet: mk1 or mk2 parts?

SFHawk said

I've not yet found a simple answer as to what parts remained mk1 on the cabriolet and what changed to mk2 after the mk2 golf came out in 1985.

There isn't a simple answer - the Mk1 Mk2 boundary got really blurred with the cabbys continuing production after 1984. A number of parts were changed, some to give a "makeover" and some to achieve more parts commonality (which results in economies of scale, and cheaper production costs) with the Mk2. Your best bet is to look on ETKA since this allows you to look up VW part numbers and diagrams, and compare with eg 1983 hatchback. I am sure someone has it installed and can help you out.

Back to the top

Back to the top
Thanks for the quick replies, greatly appreciated.  I think I'll go for the ebay option, just trying to get the cabriolet back on the road before I move house!  The complete restoration to glory will come later.

Thanks again for all your help.

Back to the top

chortle said

Hi mate,
my cabby is an 88 and I called GSF about a starter motor and apparently it's a mk2 one.

<—————————————————–
I could have let you have a starter m8,paying the gsf price,is just not right,do you have a 2 pin or the single pin??? :dontknow: (how much was it?)

Back to the top

jaycab said

chortle said

Hi mate,

<—————————————————–
I could have let you have a starter m8,paying the gsf price,is just not right,do you have a 2 pin or the single pin??? :dontknow: (how much was it?)

Not sure which one it was. It costs £60. approx. Unfortunately I could get some money back on returning the old one ( which I still have) but I have mislaid the receipt.   :banghead:  :banghead:  :dontknow:

"Making Cabbies More Beautiful One Roof at a Time" 
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.