Skip navigation

020 Gearbox Help

Back to the top

020 Gearbox Help

Been a good start to owning my MK1 lol….Fixed all the digifant running probs (converted to 1.8GTI digifant some years ago) Took it out for a test drive came back did a bit of fine tweeking and checked it over.  100 yrds up the road and the diff exploded  :lol:  :banghead: .

Are the any other main differences in 020 gearbox's apart from the driveshaft flange thickness ? can you change the drive shaft flange ?

How can you tell what ratio's are in the box or are they all the same ?

What is the best gearbox ratio's if they are different and I imagine they are.

Good pickup is key as most driving is short and twisty :roll:. I do not do much long distance work with it but it would be nice to cruise at 70 without killing it :lol:

Anyone got a spare box :mrgreen:

At least I have a digifant that ticks over :lol:

TIA

If its not broke....I will break it

Back to the top

020 GB

I have searched around the forum and found a link to 020 GEAR RATIOS

Fromm this I have found out my gb code is FD and is a close ratio box.

All I need to do now is find a suitable box.  Its a bit hard to know what to do in respect of ratios as I have only driven the MK1 10 miles since owning it.

If its not broke....I will break it

Back to the top
Judging by your typical roads to drive on, you won't really see the downsides of the lower-geared 1.6 gearbox. Downsides: not so good on motorways, higher revs, noisier, slightly poorer economy. Advantages are: better acceleration, feels sportier to drive, etc

I'd go on availability rather than worry TOO much about ratios, so long as its a close ratio GTI box.

The flanges are interchangeable but obviously if you have the choice of 2 boxes, one with the right flanges and one with the wrong ones, it would make sense to buy the correct ones so you don't need the hassle of swapping them over.

0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.