Skip navigation

Newbie with 1983 Mk1 Cab

Back to the top

Good ole 1.5

I treated myself for my birthday to a Golf that had been off the road for about 3/4 years. 
First Lady owner owned for 35 ish years, a VW fanatic bought it but had a lot of VWs and due to relocation sold.

I've got some work to do. Got it MOTd.
Discovered water inside car not sure where from is there any adjustment you can do on the roof.
Roof seems stiff to operate any advice to open successfully.

Is it common for blower motors to go, has it got a relay in the nsf footwell that controls this? 

Can't wait to get brakes and suspension renewed to feel a bit tighter.

Previously had a mk2 gti and glad to have another project.

Can you advise if some has fit the wrong grille as rear of car says GL and can you advise a replacement carb from the solus?

Vick IMG_0849.jpeg IMG_0842.jpeg IMG_0841.jpeg IMG_0840.jpeg IMG_0838.jpeg IMG_0871.jpeg

Back to the top
Looks a tidy survivor.

From memory there is no relay in the blower circuit but a large resistor that controls the 3 speeds. The bearings in the motor can seize.

The grille apart from the 'driver' badge looks original.

Before you get carried away changing everything make sure the rear brakes aren't seized or leaking. Adjust any slack from the pedal to the mechanism that runs across the bulkhead and manually adjust the rear 'self' adjuster with a pointy screw driver thru a bolt hole. It's a 70hp 850kg car not a 400hp 3 ton SUV 4x4 you are trying to stop.

With the suspension remember is a 50 years old design and an open top car. If the shocks, bump stops and front top mount are very old replacing those will transfom then car rather than full coil overs dumped into the weeds rattling your way down the road…..

With the roof half open put a drop of oil on the mulitple hinge joints that are visible.

1983 Mars Red 1.8 Golf GTI
1987 Alpine White 1.8 Clipper Cabriolet

The trouble with doing nothing is that you never know when you are finished.

Back to the top

Newbie with 1983 Mk1 Cab

Hood is shrunken and likely to of gone porous more likely if it’s vynil.
Once they go porous it’s new hood time.
The sides are arching upwards above the glass which is the indicator of shrunk hood as the material pulls in the path of least resistance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"Making Cabbies More Beautiful One Roof at a Time" 

Back to the top

Newbie with 1983 Mk1 Cab

Stiffness of the frame can be a multitude of things but poor lubricating is one. Plus there are two gas struts that are there to assist with raising the frame, these can lose the pressure a d they can bind making it harder to raise hood frame.
I’d recommend watching the video to give you an overview of the top section and what can be lurking.

Watch Expert Strip a MK1 Golf Hood in Stunning 4K! - YouTube

Back to the top

Newbie with 1983 Mk1 Cab

Webber 32/34 DMTL is the replacement carb. However you’ll need to state engine size as there’s one for the 1.6 and 1.8 also for an automatic they’re different too as a heads up.
Standard suspension and as said new rubber bits if they’ve not been replaced.

0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.