Skip navigation

Newbie with 1983 Mk1 Cab

Back to the top

Good ole 1.5

I treated myself for my birthday to a Golf that had been off the road for about 3/4 years. 
First Lady owner owned for 35 ish years, a VW fanatic bought it but had a lot of VWs and due to relocation sold.

I've got some work to do. Got it MOTd.
Discovered water inside car not sure where from is there any adjustment you can do on the roof.
Roof seems stiff to operate any advice to open successfully.

Is it common for blower motors to go, has it got a relay in the nsf footwell that controls this? 

Can't wait to get brakes and suspension renewed to feel a bit tighter.

Previously had a mk2 gti and glad to have another project.

Can you advise if some has fit the wrong grille as rear of car says GL and can you advise a replacement carb from the solus?

Vick IMG_0849.jpeg IMG_0842.jpeg IMG_0841.jpeg IMG_0840.jpeg IMG_0838.jpeg IMG_0871.jpeg

Back to the top
Hello and welcome to the joys of owning a Mk1.

Grill badge is from a tin top Mk1 Golf driver and the badge is a rare item so if you remove it go carefully as it's worth some cash…

There is some joints on the roof which need oiling, I use 3 in 1 drip oil on mine every couple of years. If you 1/2 open the roof you can see most of the joints that move and need oiling.
I'll try and find the info on this.

Heater blower, does it work on speed 3?
There's a resistor near the blower fan in the scuttle area which controls the speed of the fan but it's by passed when fans on 3.
You can check to see if the fan blade moves freely as they can get stuck fast if left for some time.

Brakes won't feel as good as a Mk2 as the servo is on the passenger side with linkages between them.
New brake fluid and properly adjusted rear drums do make some difference and check the brake hoses, new braided hose can also help with the feel of the brakes, check you can lock up the fronts if pedal pushed hard.

Webber carb is what people use as they are simple carbs with a manual choke and only 2 adjustment on the carb, idle speed and mixture.

Webcon or fast road cars are Webber suppliers and very helpful if needed advice on which carb to fit as they are jetted different for what ever engine the carbs on.

1988 Mk1 Golf GTi Cabriolet 1.8cc DX, K-jet. Daily drive. 317,000 miles and counting
1978 Mk1 Scirocco GLS 1.6cc FR, Webber carb. Weekend toy.
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.