Skip navigation

Cab Project (a billion newbie questions attached!)

Back to the top

Somewhat on impulse, I'm now the proud owner of a Golf Cabriolet (is that even the right word?). My daughter has been bugging me to do a project together, she loves the MK1 - I like it too but don't know much about it at all! So here's the low down:

It's a '90 G reg, very very solid.  No obvious rot anywhere - even in the hood area and fuel filler
It's on BBS reps, but I've sorted some tarantulas out
It needs a new clutch and its on webber carbs, so I need to decide if to take these off and go more original
Small tear in roof at rear, and although its watertight it needs the cables adjusting/replacing on either side as they are a bit bowed. Might just put a mohair roof on - so need to investigate best place to do this.
Needs a bit of paint correction and small dent on drivers door sorting

Big things to inverstigage:

It's a small bumper model. It says clipper on the V5, I need to work out if it is a clipper, or if the v5 is wrong. I've no idea if its good or bad if its a clipper!
 Where to get roof replaced
How to insure for Daughter. It's about three pence for me to insure with my classic insurer (I've got an old landie on a classic policy), but will search for best way to do this for her. It's quite expensive to just swap her current policy (like, eye wateringly so)

Thoughts so far on it, in general:

I'm actually quite surprised how modern it is, given it's age. I'm looking forward to driving it.
They look cool don't they

Back to the top
Congrats on your purchase!

chortle is the go to man for soft top's based on all the reccomendations I have seen over the years (can't vouch as I have a tin top).

As for the carb, I'd leave the weber on as they are generally more reliable and easier to get parts for.

Can't really help with your other questions as I'm not a cabby expert.

My rebuild thread I will try and keep up to date: here

K-Jet fuel pressure test guage How-To

Back to the top
G-reg should have the 'clipper' kit large bumpers/side skirts.

Does it have multiple carbs fitted?

Get some pics posted.

1983 Mars Red 1.8 Golf GTI
1987 Alpine White 1.8 Clipper Cabriolet

The trouble with doing nothing is that you never know when you are finished.

Back to the top
Believe multiple carbs.

I'm very much not an expert but would be surprised if it's a clipper. I'll post more pics shortly…I haven't yet picked it up!

Back to the top
IMG_20231030_164908.jpg IMG_20231030_165034.jpg

Back to the top
IMG_20231030_164920.jpg

IMG-20231031-WA0028.jpg

Back to the top
Clipper was the name given to non-GTI cabrios post @1988. Both versions had the 'clipper' kit fitted.

If it is a 1990 G Reg, looks like the clipper kit has been replaced with the old style small bumpers, wheel arch trims and grille. Although there are lots of other small details that some one could spot to see if its an older car re-registered?

Appears the single weber carb replacement for the factory 2E2 pierburg carb

1983 Mars Red 1.8 Golf GTI
1987 Alpine White 1.8 Clipper Cabriolet

The trouble with doing nothing is that you never know when you are finished.

Back to the top
Welcome mpatts,
As already mentioned a 1990 G reg car would of had the  body kit fitted unless the car was made pre 1988 and sat unregistered, you can contact VW and get the build date to check, there's lots of threads on this as people check when there cars reach 40 years old and are road tax free.

It does look like someone has de kitted the car and fitted a early type grill and removed the spot lights, check to see if you have a couple of extra cables coming out of the headlight loom.

The roof, yes there is 2 side tension cables which look like they have snapped, you can fit new ones but if there is a tear in the roof you can't really repair them so new roof may be on the cards if funds allow.

The Webber carb 32/34 DMTL which you have is a direct replacement for the Pierburg that would of been on there from new, the Pierburg is a better carb but it's a real art to find anyone that can service or set them up to work right so most of the time a Webber carb is fitted as they have fixed jets and you can easily set up as you only have a mixture screw and idle speed to adjust so it's a really simple carb to work with.

From looking at the engine bay, a couple of things I've spotted, suspension top mounts are coming to the end of there life as the metal plate should be touching the rubber mount, they don't seem to last long and replacing them between 2 to 5 years is normal, having stiff coilovers does shorten their life or hitting pot holes or driving hard over very bumpy roads also does not help.

Get a blue coolant expansion tank cap as some of the black ones seem the fail or don't have a vent in case of to much pressure as this saves coolant hoses from busting.

It's a bit hard to see but check your clutch cable is sitting straight up from the gearbox end or the cable will rub of the gearbox making the clutch even heavier.
Check to see if there is a strengthening plate fitted on the bulk head where the clutch cable enters the cabin, it's behind the inlet manifold, if no plate fitted get one ASAP or one day the cable will rip a hole in the bulkhead, if not sure post up a picture and we can tell if there is one.

They are great cars and if looked after and regular serviced very reliable and great fun to drive, mines a daily drive for the last 27 years and it still puts a smile on my face and not let me down even after 321,000 miles.  :thumbs:

1988 Mk1 Golf GTi Cabriolet 1.8cc DX, K-jet. Daily drive. 317,000 miles and counting
1978 Mk1 Scirocco GLS 1.6cc FR, Webber carb. Weekend toy.

Back to the top
Wow.  Thanks for the v detailed reply! Massive miles, huge respect!

Back to the top

Hi,
The reason why your roof bows up frowning is due to it shrinking.
Even if the cables are snapped putting new on would not un shrink the roof.
Once these hoods shrink they often become porous so will allow moisture in. This can rot the actual top frame.
Take the time to watch the video to give you an overview of the top section construction.

The “Clipper” is the base model of the cabriolet range.
In its earliest form it was known as the GL.
The GTI is the higher end having the injection engine fitted originally the 1.6 as the early tin tops and not long after they introduced the 1.8 engine too.
So there was confusion over engine sizes and badging.
By I think 83 all were fitted with the 1.8 injection and badges as the GTI.

Yours being a “Clipper” is named after the tall sailing ships and VW had a fascination with the winds. The golf was originally named “Gulf” as in gulf winds.
But it was being mispronounced as Golf, never missing an opportunity to capitalise on this VW introduced the Golf gear knob.
Other cars such as the Scirocco again a type of wind as the Jetta relating to the Jet stream.
Early versions pre 1988 were small bumpers but still were Clippers so you would have small bumper clippers.
By 1988 VW thought the MK1 cabby was looking dated so commissioned Karmann coach works to produce a MK2
Prototype. Karmann were already responsible for the design and manufacture of the MK1 cabby with VW only supplying running gear, suspension and engines.
By 83 the MK2 tintop was in full swing at the Wolfsburg plant so the cabby was 5 years behind. They didn’t want to disrupt the assembly line at Wolfsburg either to produce a MK2 cabby there.
Once the Initial plans and costing were put forward VW considered the cost too high. So a MK2 cabriolet was never made other than the prototype.
As said by 88 VW decided to modernise the MK1 cabby by the addition of bigger bumpers, cill covers and arch extensions. Those were fitted to all post 88 cabs whether Clipper which were carbed engines and the GTI version.
Which is not a Clipper so to call it a “clipper kit” is a misnomer. VW officially termed these as the “Facelift”
Versions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"Making Cabbies More Beautiful One Roof at a Time" 

Back to the top

Back to the top

Back to the top
thanks, great info, sent you a PM ref a new roof in that case!

Back to the top

You need to watch the video all the way through as you’ll see the top section is made up of more than one layer.
So it’d depend on what’s needed.
The headliner suffers from orange bloom and the interliner and padding rots.
To replace these the lot has to be stripped back to a bare frame.
All that is not a day job anyway.
So do you know if you want a hood only or need other stuff replaced?
If the gear underneath is old it’ll more than likely need replacement.
Pointless putting a new hood on 30 odd old year gear that should have been replaced years ago.
Ideally you’d need to bring the car to the workshop.
Here we can deal with anything that arises.
We rarely travel out anymore.
10 years ago it wasn’t too bad but issues arise if we visit and the car isn’t as seems or hasn’t been assessed and I don’t have all I need with me to complete the job.
Had this with a car in Northampton where the owner said the rear window frame was perfect. When it wasn’t.
They didn’t want to pay for a frame and bought junk off eBay so I had wasted journeys going back and forth.
When I presented the bill they refused to pay for the wasted trips back and forth all caused by themselves.
So in fairness it’s easier to bring to me I’ll assess what I can see explain what and why so you can make an informed decision.
07973537991 is my number and it’s easier to have a proper chat.
But I’m currently in Turkey on holiday.
Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.