Skip navigation

Engine Identification

Back to the top
Hello everyone!
:)First of all, I know this top has been discussed but I have never been able to find an answer to my question.

Please find below a picture of an engine that is supposed to come from a golf mk1 S (1979). However, I haven't been able to find the engine code between plugs 3&4.

Is anyone able to recognise it? If more pictures are needed, please do not hesitate to ask!

Thank you in advance.

309985168_1278829409550709_2060855065436895567_n.jpg

Last edit: by Swarlaw

Back to the top
The engine code is just above the fuel pump, stamped on a flat surface on the engine block.

The engine looks like a 1.8 EX engine, I could be wrong as it's not a UK car?

I guess it's not running at the moment as you are missing the breather hose from the rocker cover, the hot air feed to the end of the air intake and the sensors on the coolant flange are not connected?

1988 Mk1 Golf GTi Cabriolet 1.8cc DX, K-jet. Daily drive. 317,000 miles and counting
1978 Mk1 Scirocco GLS 1.6cc FR, Webber carb. Weekend toy.

Back to the top
Agree looks like a mid/late 1980s 1.6/1.8 with later sensors and wiring connectors, plastic clipped cambelt cover not bolted on metal cover, plastic dipstick etc etc

1983 Mars Red 1.8 Golf GTI
1987 Alpine White 1.8 Clipper Cabriolet

The trouble with doing nothing is that you never know when you are finished.

Back to the top

mark1gls said

The engine code is just above the fuel pump, stamped on a flat surface on the engine block.

The engine looks like a 1.8 EX engine, I could be wrong as it's not a UK car?

I guess it's not running at the moment as you are missing the breather hose from the rocker cover, the hot air feed to the end of the air intake and the sensors on the coolant flange are not connected?
Thanks a lot for your answer! :)
Indeed, it is not a UK Car, it is from the Netherlands from what I understood.
However, it is actually running. Should I check it before running it again? I have the temperature gauge (and working), and I've never suffered from a too hot engine.

Back to the top

Early-1800 said

Agree looks like a mid/late 1980s 1.6/1.8 with later sensors and wiring connectors, plastic clipped cambelt cover not bolted on metal cover, plastic dipstick etc etc

Thank you a lot for your answer :)

Back to the top
I would do something with the breather out of the rocker cover or you will get an oily mist all over your engine bay.
There should be a rubber hose from the rocker cover breather to the top of the carb.
There's a picture here.

https://vwgolfmk1.org.uk/forum/index.php?page=topicview&id=helllllpppp%2Funtitled_263

I guess someone has changed the carb from a Pierburg to a Webber? I believe the coolant sensors on the front of the engine tell the Pierburg auto choke when it's needed so if you have a manual choke they are not needed.
I don't have a 1.8 carburettor car so not 100% sure, just an 1978 1.6 Scirocco and that does not have those sensors on the front of the engine and I've also fitted a Webber.

The hot air feed on the air intake only works when the engine is cold to stop the carb from freezing up especially when the outside temperature drops, it won't make any difference in the warmer weather.

1988 Mk1 Golf GTi Cabriolet 1.8cc DX, K-jet. Daily drive. 317,000 miles and counting

Back to the top
Found a picture of the hot air intake, there is a shield fitted to the exhaust manifold which the Flexi pipe fits onto.

https://vwgolfmk1.org.uk/forum/index.php?page=topicview&id=big-block-carb-engines_2%2Fair-filter-housing

0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.