Skip navigation

Golf mk1 Gti Vin number plate & Options codes plate

Back to the top

Vin number & Options plate

Hello everyone, this is my first time here, but i'm a new lucky owner of a 1983 Golf Mk1 GTI, and currently starting a project to make this car all new again!

My question is the following: i can't find the Vin number plate nor the Options codes plate that usually come on this car. I do have the Vin number, but is there any way possible to get an original Vin plate to install it? And is there any way to know and get the original Options codes plate that is usually in the trunk of the car? 

Is there any way to know from the Vin number, to know the options and color that came on this car?

I really hope that anyone could help me out with this, and i think i am in the right place!

Many thanks 

Back to the top
Welcome!!! 

Are you UK or US based??? Reason I ask is that you may have a different service book than the UK if you're US based. In my service book there is a sticker with the option codes on it. 

The VIN number gives you different detail. It tells you where the car was built, plant, year etc. 

There should be a painted plate on the slam panel which will tell you the exact date of build. 

From that you can go to the brochures in the Gallery area and see how your car compares. 

Hope that helps a little?? 

Back to the top
There should be a vin code on the car somewhere if it's road legal, how do you know you have the right car for the registration?

1988 Mk1 Golf GTi Cabriolet 1.8cc DX, K-jet. Daily drive. 317,000 miles and counting
1978 Mk1 Scirocco GLS 1.6cc FR, Webber carb. Weekend toy.

Back to the top

Dano said

Welcome!!! 

Are you UK or US based??? Reason I ask is that you may have a different service book than the UK if you're US based. In my service book there is a sticker with the option codes on it. 

The VIN number gives you different detail. It tells you where the car was built, plant, year etc. 

There should be a painted plate on the slam panel which will tell you the exact date of build. 

From that you can go to the brochures in the Gallery area and see how your car compares. 

Hope that helps a little?? 

Thank you! I am based in the middle east area, the car is german origin, i checked from the Vin number. I don't have its service book, i'm just asking on how i can get a genuine Vin number plate to install it on the car, and alao the options code sticker that usually is installed in the trunk is also missing, so how can i know what are the original options that came on the car? 

Back to the top

mark1gls said

There should be a vin code on the car somewhere if it's road legal, how do you know you have the right car for the registration?

Yes there is a Vin number stamped on the firewall/bulkhead, on the front of the wiper cowling panel, and it matches its papers. 

But the aluminium ID Vin plate (that should be installed on the front) is missing, maybe i can buy a new one to install it? 

Also the Options code sticker in the trunk is missing, any idea how to get one to install it? And how to know the original options that came on the car etc…?

Back to the top
If you contact member Shughy , he may be able to help you out with a VIN plate. 

Re the option codes - have a look here and see what matches with yours…. 

https://vwgolfmk1.org.uk/forum/index.php?page=topicview&id=bodywork-fittings-and_2%2Foption-codes-that-can_2

Best you can do without the sticker I guess. 

Back to the top
You can get a 'Birth certificate' from VW which will tell you the options that will be on the missing sticker - Certificate and Data Sheets

I've seen someone making reproduction stickers but can't remember where, might have been on Facebook?  

Back to the top

Memorextape said

You can get a 'Birth certificate' from VW which will tell you the options that will be on the missing sticker - Certificate and Data Sheets

I've seen someone making reproduction stickers but can't remember where, might have been on Facebook?  

Hey thank you. I just checked their website in order to get a birth certificate and data sheet, any idea if this is legit and official data that they give? Anyone here ever tried ordering from them?

Back to the top

Dano said

If you contact member Shughy , he may be able to help you out with a VIN plate. 

Re the option codes - have a look here and see what matches with yours…. 

https://vwgolfmk1.org.uk/forum/index.php?page=topicview&id=bodywork-fittings-and_2%2Foption-codes-that-can_2

Best you can do without the sticker I guess. 

Yea i will contact Shughy then, because i sure need to make a new Vin plate. As for the options code sticker, i think i also need to get one in order to install it, because i have some doubts that my car is a Pirelli edition, so i need to check the original options etc…

Back to the top
Sorry for the late reply - drop me a pm and I'll see what help I can provide. Thanks.

Cheers Hugh.

www.vwgolf1.com - vw golf parts and genuine accessories!

Banner

Back to the top

Shughy said

Sorry for the late reply - drop me a pm and I'll see what help I can provide. Thanks.

Hello, Personal message sent! Thanks

Back to the top
I've got one for mine and I know a few others who have also had them for their cars. Think it took a few weeks to arrive but the codes and information on it matched my car.
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.