Skip navigation

my mk1 1600 turbo technics project

Back to the top
golf capri beaulei 194.jpg golf capri beaulei 195.jpg golf capri beaulei 196.jpg well as afew of you know by now i have the only mk1 1600 gti turbo technics thats a bit poorly at mo. after having it sat in the garage doing nothing i have decided to start doing something, ive had the head taken off and its just come back from engine shop so hopfuly should be fitted by weekend , i went to simply ford car show at beaulie sunday and they had a mk1 mars red 1600 gti in the museum and i want mine to look exactly the same. i have just bought a red and black interia and collecting it friday (400 mile round trip) and want a standerd set of wheels. can anybody tell me what wheels i need , the ones in the museum has 9 spoke but i dont know if i need 13 or 14in?.  golf gti 106.jpg golf gti 107.jpg golf gti 108.jpg golf gti 109.jpg golf gti 110.jpg golf gti 111.jpg golf gti 112.jpg  heres some pics of my car and i will upload more pics later, i asked the bloke doing my car to take loads of pics so i have have photo record. will also try add pic of car at the museum,

Last edit: by shaunmmk1gti1600

Back to the top
top 3 pics are at museum, i got so many qs , what size are the wheels. have i got th right single light grille, my car a year older than the other one, is this right for my year? any tips ect

Back to the top
Hi

The ones you want are only avliable in 13 inch and are really cheap as ther are so many about. There are a few 1600 Turbo technicks on the site so worth a search for any advice. Car looks great!

Back to the top
As Shepp said, their only available in 13in, although I have seen people make them into custom splits.

But they were the standard alloy wheel, I think the P-Slot was the option/ upgrade (correct me if I'm wrong) … commonly you'll find them called Tarantula alloys. I think std tyres were 175/70/13

I would also say their cheap, but I've noticed recently these are costing a bit more than they used to, a bit like the P-Slots. Unless you get them in unrefurbished state/ people clearing out garages etc

As for the grille, it looks like an aftermarket one, geared towards the later cabrio's with the big bumpers… says very 90's to me!

For a standard look you'll need the 3 piece grille, 2x head light rings, centre and trim - http://www.classic-vw.co.uk/mk1-golf-single-lamp-grille-set-with-red-gti-trim-15051-p.asp for a complete set w/ trim. You can get them second hand, but will most likely require refurb etc

I think from your pick you'll need the front spoiler too, there's two types CL & GTI… GTI being the bigger of the two. If you look through the site i linked for the grille, it should give you an idea of the bits you can get.

Cheers

'83 MK1 Golf GTI
'02 Land Rover Discovery 2 Td5
'08 Audi S3 2.0 16v TFSI

Back to the top
great site, im defo getting new grille set from that site thanks, and some othe bits. i cant understand there being other 1600 turbo technics cars on here as i spoke to tt and they didnt have computer records back in the day (paper) but when the cumputers came along all turbo details (not reg details) was stored. they have records of 1800's being done and 1 record of a 1600, although they didnt have the reg numbers. my number is vw 1 and the details of the turbo match with mine. would be interesting to see another one. anyway my head finaly came back to the garage today and new rad will be here tomorrow so hopefuly might get some news this week. even if they cant get the engine sorted i think i just carry on getting the other cosmetic bits done, i just bought the red/black stripi interia on ebay last week (400 mile round trip). so i can make one good interia out of the 2.
also got my eye on side stripes but dont know if i need gloss black ,satin black or matt black???

Back to the top
went to the garage today as it been there for weeks now, the engine now back togeather but very week spark so got another coil and now no spark,  doing my head in but the plus side i just picked up a set of 9 spokes 2 miles from me for £80. just ordered arch trim set and duck bill and rear hatch decals, want to order side stripes but dont know what colour to get, gloss black or satin black, can anyone help.

Back to the top

Side stripes should be black on yours Shaun, it was the darker colours that got the silver stripes (assuming you mean the vinyl at the bottom of the doors?)

Otherwise the side trim/ waist trim (metal trim, on upper wing, door, quarter panel etc) shouldn't matter. Think my originals were gloss. Repro were satin, after the car was polished they turned to gloss anyhoo ha

Either way, it'll be in-keeping so choose what you like the most!

Stick some pics up

'83 MK1 Golf GTI
'08 Audi S3 2.0 16v TFSI

Back to the top
my waist trim is black , lower stripes i think i will go gloss black, just bought some other bits yesterday, duck bill, nice set of gti mats, arch trim set and the sticker set for rear hatch , mine ok but got a little nip in one section.  i found a site that sells a complete carpet set for £103 so i think it should make a big differance, also going to get that grill set from the site you showed me. the mrs moaning that im spending money on the car when its not running but she dont understand, i think she'd rather spend the money going bingo, thats her idea of investment

Back to the top

Ahah mine doesn't get it either!

For interior stuff take a look at newton commercial, they get a good rep… never used them myself though.

If your a paid member you get a discount, forget how much. Likewise with vw heritage etc

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

'83 MK1 Golf GTI
'08 Audi S3 2.0 16v TFSI

Back to the top
just had the garage on the phone to collect my car, he cant get it to run and now he thinks its bottom end, all head work has been done by yoe and smith  plymouth so at least i know top end ok, (or has it not been put back togeather right)  done compression test and hardly anything on 1, but 2,3and 4 has around 125psi. cant understand it as when he took the head off he said all the bottom looked good and everything was turning ok. bit gutted just spent £600 on bits, wheels, interia , duck bill, side stripes back hatch stripes, wheel arch set. oh well never mind at least i can sort the cosmetic bits out and maybe have another go at engine later

Back to the top
got the car back now and i asked him if he had re-shimed and done valve clearence , as i read on here someone had a similar problem and it turned out to be that,  the bloke who done my car said no he just put it back togeather. i spoke to another garage today and they said as i had the seats re cut it should have been shimed  and clearences checked. feel like im banging my head against a wall. think i will get it shimed and if that dont work i will just have to save and get a engine rebuild. trouble is who do you trust to rebuild as the bloke who just done my car said he rebuilt load of vw's and then didnt even check clearence. ?????

Back to the top
anyone got any ideas on how much my 1600 turbo technicks worth, non runner, got loads of parts and bought another engine eg code. 2 red stripe interias, original alloys plus lots more. just put my xr2 on road today and my 3.0 capri is my baby, so falling out of love for the golf, dont know weather to sell or just put it in back of garage and have another look next year. i know i would kick myself if i sold it as its the only 1600 tt . any ideas on value ?

Back to the top
Did you ever find out why very little compression on number 1? I spent £600 on a brand new recon head for my EG to find it was scrap!! I ended up spending less having my original head rebuilt locally. It has now run like new for 12 months. I would only use a member of "Federation of engine re-manufacturers" The problem is getting the parts now.

Where are you at now?

Back to the top
4C8E6970-7747-4C4E-A96B-0797E27BDBD6.jpeg

I did some right work on that car!!!!!! 2014
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.