Skip navigation

MK1 Golf GTI 2.0 TFSI Edition 30 p12 (was 2008cc R1 bike carbs)

Back to the top

1983 Lhasa Green MK1 Golf GTI

Axle and fuel tank now dropped. I had previously protected the underneath of the car with Chassis Black (at least 8 years ago now!).
Good to see it's still holding up.

Back to the top
MK1 Golf TFSI Fuel tank ready to install :)

OEM+ MK1 Golf GTI TFSI Fuel Tank. :wub:Custom modifications to allow MK5 Golf GTI TFSI fuel pump to be fitted into MK1 fuel tank, making a plug and play TFSI fuel system.

There are pros and cons to this approach.
One of these is the option to slightly increase the size of the original hole (pic below), so that the TFSI fuel pump can be installed/removed without needing to drop the fuel tank each time, which is a pain.

Back to the top
Having finally managed to separate the exhaust middle section from the back box, I took the opportunity to put a fresh coat of high temperature exhaust paint on today.  This is the Supersprint Group A 60mm Race System. I originally purchased and put this on the car 14 years old! See below for original price!!

Below is the original printout from when I bought it, along with individual prices.

The full MK1 Golf GTI 60mm race system is still available from Supersprint, but OMG check out what the price is now!!
(The price below does include the manifold but even so…) :o:o

Back to the top
Loving your fuel tank. I think that is the way to go if I get any leaks from my set-up at the surge tank.

That exhaust price is crazy. You would think it's made of titanium at that price.

Where did you get the fuel tank modified? If I did it I think I would buy a new one to avoid any explosions cutting. Is the mounting ring welded on or compression fitted? I guess it also needs compression testing after any changes like that :thumbs:

Back to the top

Rich. said

Loving your fuel tank. I think that is the way to go if I get any leaks from my set-up at the surge tank.

That exhaust price is crazy. You would think it's made of titanium at that price.

Where did you get the fuel tank modified? If I did it I think I would buy a new one to avoid any explosions cutting. Is the mounting ring welded on or compression fitted? I guess it also needs compression testing after any changes like that :thumbs:

Thanks Rich. :thumbs:

I bought a brand new fuel tank and took it to Bogg Brothers for modification. They have done a top job of being able to weld the original MK5 metal mounting into the MK1 fuel tank so the fuel pump housing and mounting ring is 100% OEM fitment.  :thumbs:

Back to the top
Top tip for you.

I spotted this technique on youtube for a custom fuel pump install. Use a magnet to pickup any metal debris from inside the tank.
I took an old computer hard drive apart and used the two magnets from inside the drive, they are stupidly strong and work a treat. :lol:

Back to the top
Next task to get some custom fuel lines, so that I can relocate the fuel lines that go to the lift pump down and run them along the front of the fuel tank instead to the TFSI fuel filter at the side.

Back to the top
It's so true that for every one modification there are two problems. The fuel lines from the pump being more of an issue than expected.

The MK5 TFSI fuel lines are 5/16" with common quick release connectors. The fuel line is quite straight forward to obtain, but it is heat shrinked onto the connectors which for safety reasons, ideally needs special crimping tools to ensure a tight fit!. Especially as the TFSI fuel system for the K04 engine is 6.6 bar at the fuel tank pump. For comparision the MK1 GTI fuel pressure is about 5.5 ish iirc.

The second issue is the 90 Degree quick release connections are a nightmare to find, especially as VW only sell complete fuel lines and do not sell the connectors separately.

Back to the top
So while I wait for the fuel lines to be sorted, I given the original MK1 Golf GTI fuel brackets a clean up and a new coat of satin paint for that OEM look, and will be using a genuine VW TFSI fuel filter.

The OEM+ trick here is to then mount the TFSI fuel filter in the original MK1 Accumulator Bracket! Perfect Fit!

I did hack the MK5 bracket off the MK5 fuel tank, to see if that would work, but you can't beat that OEM+ look. :)

Back to the top
Are you trying to find genuine ones as I gave up.

I used these which are easy to get from Amazon and are a perfect fit on my Audi fpr.

Screenshot_20200709-065340.png

And this is the tool you need to get the fuel line on:

Screenshot_20200709-065645.png

:thumbs:

Back to the top
Oh those connectors are only rated at 5bar so scratch that :(

I see what you mean.

Back to the top
are the mk5 lines too far ut to use then?

just bin all of the injection off and go carbs :D

Hello my name is John and I'm a dub addict.

My wiring diagrams and other documents have moved here:

VAG Documents & Downloads

You'll need to sign into google/gmail for the link to work! (its free!)

Back to the top

rubjonny said

:lol:

Back to the top
Can you find second hand lines and carefully remove the connectors to recycle?

With the nylon line and 5 bar connectors like I had you could carefully remove them with a razor blade, this was after I made a mistake and the line was too short :lol:

Are the higher pressure lines made in the same way as in compression fitted to the connectors?

Back to the top

rubjonny said

Unfortunately, the original MK5 lines were just a bit too short to fit.

rubjonny said

:lol:
See page 11 and earlier for carbs!  :lol:
I've done OEM injection, heavily modified injection, Carbs and now new school injection.  :thumbs:

Carbs are awesome, but always fancied a big turbo.

Back to the top

Rich. said

With the nylon line and 5 bar connectors like I had you could carefully remove them with a razor blade, this was after I made a mistake and the line was too short :lol:Are the higher pressure lines made in the same way as in compression fitted to the connectors?
The lines are semi-hard plastic heat shrinked onto the connections, so you could carefully cut off the connectors and attach to new pipe work, but I would be concerned with heat shrinking the new pipe work. Without the correct tools, this can be an issue.

Good news though. I've just literally found some compact 5/16" 90 Degree aluminium alloy (6061 T6 ) AN-6 connections that meet aerospace hose fittings requirements and are rated at 50 bar. I'll post some pictures when they arrive.  :thumbs: 

Back to the top

Lhasa2008 said

Rich. said

With the nylon line and 5 bar connectors like I had you could carefully remove them with a razor blade, this was after I made a mistake and the line was too short :lol:Are the higher pressure lines made in the same way as in compression fitted to the connectors?
The lines are semi-hard plastic heat shrinked onto the connections, so you could carefully cut off the connectors and attach to new pipe work, but I would be concerned with heat shrinking the new pipe work. Without the correct tools, this can be an issue.

Good news though. I've just literally found some compact 5/16" 90 Degree aluminium alloy (6061 T6 ) AN-6 connections that meet aerospace hose fittings requirements and are rated at 50 bar. I'll post some pictures when they arrive.  :thumbs: 

Oh great news. I saw those AN fitting but wondered if you wanted to retain the OEM nylon look.

Have you got any pics of the heat shrink look?

When I used the laser tool it forces the pipe over the fitting. It's a very tight fit and follows the contours of the barbs on the connector and looks like it's shrunk.

But that's not an issue anymore if you go AN :thumbs:

Back to the top
This is what mine looks like when pushed on:

Screenshot_20200709-130321.png

Back to the top

Rich. said

That hose looks like rubber, rather than the MK5 hard plastic hoses.

Back to the top

Lhasa2008 said

Rich. said

That hose looks like rubber, rather than the MK5 hard plastic hoses.

Hard plastic line, honest governor I made it lol

5f0707fe200fb.png

0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.