Skip navigation

Black 1991 GTi cabriolet

Back to the top
Hi

Years ago I had a 1989 white GTi cab. Noisy, uncomfortable, leaky thing. Lots of fun but it was in a terrible condition so I ran it for a couple of years and sold it on.

Fast forward many years and I've just bought a 1991 black GTi cab, so I thought I'd say hello. Paintwork is almost immaculate, roof doesn't leak, I don't see any rust, and the engine appears to be solid. It needs a new throttle cable so that's job #1 and there's a proper rats nest of wiring in both footwells, so that might be job #2.

It's on H&R Cup suspension but it's rock solid, so I'll have a look at that when I can. Job #3.

It's not a Rivage btw 

Back to the top
Seats out and interior cleaned.

30 years of grime removed from seats O_o

Back to the top
Looks like a great buy and wise move on the interior cleanse, simple but satisfying job done.

Back to the top
Fitted a new throttle cable today, car is now driveable  :cool:

Back to the top
It's quite horrifying how much muck you can get out of seats and carpet. I jetwashed my carpet before I put it back in, and the carpet washer still got more muck out!

My rebuild thread I will try and keep up to date: here

K-Jet fuel pressure test guage How-To

Back to the top
Added sound deadening to the boot and wheel well over the weekend. I was surprised how much difference it makes, pretty much removed all road noise from the back of the car.

Back to the top
Also refurbished my tired badges.

I sanded them with 1500 grit, then primed and painted matt black. Then handpainted the lettering with two coats of metallic silver and finished off with three coats of lacquer.

Back to the top
They look great - you must have a very steady hand!

My rebuild thread I will try and keep up to date: here

K-Jet fuel pressure test guage How-To

Back to the top
Thanks, they came out really well. I just took my time with a tiny brush, a bright light and some cheap 2x reading glasses.

Slow work though, probably took 4 hours in all.

Back to the top
Took the doors apart this weekend to try and stop some rattling, and gave the door cards a clean while they were off.

All this … from four door cards  :(

Back to the top
Replaced one very tired looking gearbox mount today.

Back to the top
Then as soon as I'd packed up and put everything away, this showed up

0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.