Skip navigation

1991 Einser Cabrio 1.8 Slow Build

Back to the top

Slow n steady..

Hi guys..

Starting this thread to show the progress while I'm slowly but safely bring this little Cabby back to it's former glory.. it's in deperate need of attention and money isn't pouring in at the moment so I will progress rather slowly. I really like this car but there's a long way before it is "100%". Luckily it's not rusty and has never been driven in winter weather.

Bear with me at it's probably not the most exciting thread you'll ever read :PSo, I bought it a couple of weeks ago.. Previous owner installed a Lesjöfors gewinde coilover kit and it has destroyed what was left of driveability completely.
The oil pan hit's almost everything over 6 cm and this bouncing all over the place is just plain stupid. Even though it's brand new it has to go. I will try and raise it 4-5 cm's and if it's liveable it will stay on for now. Theres new wheels on there as well, unknown brand, as well as new tires. I'm trying to find some "vintage" Wolfsburg hub caps on ebay..
I just had a brand new Sonnenland cloth installed. Complete with new innerlining and padding (winter isolation?). That really lifted the car. Yesterday I gave the cloth a thourough Sonax treatment.. I also bought a "GTI" gear knob and put in an original steering wheel in there as well.
Carpet is shot and should be replaced..
I'll have to fix the infamous seat rails as well and bought a kit for that. I've also replaced all the linkage for the gears, all new..
Steering feels off and it makes noises and I will have to look at that. Warning light comes and blinks for overheating and it's reminding me another cost is coming.. Oh well..

This is how it looked the day I picked it up and arrived at home after a nervewrecking 4 hour drive.. Kidneys had come loose, fillings in my teeth were gone and in my mind there was no oil left in the engine after I smacked it on a pothole at a gas station.. I insisted on driving home with the cab down and it was +5 degrees celsius so not a happy camper that returned home.

Codes..

Semi-happy camper..

During installation of the new Sonnenland cloth.. window frame was shot but could be repaired..

Bad..

This week I will have the passenger door, the rear bumper, right side sill and left side wheel arch painted.. Just hope the painter can get a hold of some original paint. It's not allowed any longer :-(

Cheers for watching lads,, comments and tips are more than welcome!

Back to the top
So filler is on, prepping before sanding and finally some needed paint. After this I will give the mechanics som tlc. I just hope we can get a hold of ol school paint..

Back to the top
Finished several small jobs on the car and even recieved new mats from Gav95 (awesome quality)..
I basically got the car raised to a proper height and did an alignment. That did some good for the rideability but there's still play in the steering. Well well..
I'm pleased with the way the paint came out and I would rate the general paint appereance to 95%. Car looks good now with the new hood and everything. I made sure to seal the fabric with a purposemade Sonar product.
Next up is to balance all 4 wheels, put in the new mats, rub down and polish all panels and treat with it with some proper protection/wax, install a new radio and hook up the speakers, install either some blinds for the gauges in the centre console or find OE gauges.
The steering also grinds when moving it from side to side at low speeds. Annoying sound.
Plus probably some more stuff that needs sorting…. Old cars :lol:

Back to the top
Nice looking car, think the alloys look great  :thumbs:

Matt

Back to the top

pazwaa said

Nice looking car, think the alloys look great  :thumbs:

Matt
 Thanks mate.. Once I'll get some center caps on it'll be better looking. At least a little better. Also the mats from Gav is really lifting the whole appereance of the car. 
It's actually for sale at tge moment as I'm looking at a MKII.. Almost three times the price of the cab. It's a real gem of a car… Will know more during next week.
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.