Skip navigation

USA N00000B

Back to the top

USA N00000B

Just a quick hello to you guys!

I run a website here in the US called www.vintagewatercooleds.com that has a very similar mission as your forums…however, due to some model differences between the US and the UK I have found myself joining here in search of some advise!   The MK1 Golf 1600 GTi motor was never imported to the US, and is therefore a bit of a strange breed around here (people here refer to it as the "Heron head 8v").

I am no stranger to the A1 chassis cars, having owned 30+ of them so far ;)

Hopefully I can contribute some here, as well as find someone very familiar with the 1600 GTi motor to answer a few questions for me!

#NAME?

Back to the top
Hiya hunni, welcome over to this site!!! hope you like it and i hope you find it interesting, Me and my family have a house over in america and we are hoping to attend some vintage car shows over there!!!

Speak soon!!!

Luv Chrissie xxx

(P.s. this sounds silly but i have to tell you, I have a shetland pony called Eric  :D hes great) :P

Mk1's Rock   \m/

Back to the top
30+ eh! :o  8O  thats quite a few!

welcome to the site, hope we can provide you with some answers, and enjoy your time here 8)

black 5 door mk1 GTD

mk1 scirocco Gli in bits

Back to the top
Hi Eric and welcome!

We traded web links a while ago see - The Mk1 Golf Owners Club

Can't recall if it was you I e-mailed with but good to see you here!

Cheers
Andy

Andy

LINCOLNSHIRE REGION - https://www.facebook.com/groups/467122313360002/

1983 MK1 Golf GTI Campaign Model - Under (looooong) resto!
1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si

Back to the top
Welcome! Always nice to get new members abroad! Send us some pics of your car?  :D

Back to the top
Thanks for the welcomes guys!  :)

PS - the motor is stuffed in VW Fox…don't think you guys got that model?  Its Brazillian made, built like an Mk1 Passat:

#NAME?

Back to the top
8O

Back to the top

walt said

Welcome! Always nice to get new members abroad! Send us some pics of your car?  :D

Most of my current cars are in bits…and one mk1 Golf in the mix (just sold my last caddy).

Current cars:

1979 Passat Coupe 2.0 8v
1981 Scirocco S (TDI swap and restore project)
1990 Fox Wagon 1600 GTi motor
1990 Corrado TDI
1991 Cabriolet (2.0 Crossflow 8v (USA motor) swap and restore project)

#NAME?

Back to the top
ive allways loved the corrado, have you pics of your corrado tdi, which tdi engine is it?

:D

1983(Y) VW GOLF GTi

Banner

Back to the top

ans4r said

ive allways loved the corrado, have you pics of your corrado tdi, which tdi engine is it?

:D

Its the 90 PS unit from a A3 Jetta, US never got the high HP TDIs…but its had a bit of tuning…putting down around 140 hp now.

Here is my favorite pic of the Corrattle:

hehehehe, badge tuning rocks…and man does it piss off the Corrado owners.

hehehehehehehe

#NAME?

Back to the top

Hairyarse said

Hi Eric and welcome!

We traded web links a while ago see - The Mk1 Golf Owners Club

Can't recall if it was you I e-mailed with but good to see you here!

Cheers
Andy

Cheers mate!

I don't remember either…but thats cool you guys have a link to us!

#NAME?

Back to the top
Love the 'Scirocco 3' very cool!  8)

That Fox likes quite funky, sort of a mix between a Passat Estate and an Audi Sport Quattro!

Great website btw, I like the idea of driving a 'Vintage' car!

Cheers,

Drew.

Once a Mk1 fan, always a Mk1 Fan...

Back to the top

drew said

Love the 'Scirocco 3' very cool!  8)

That Fox likes quite funky, sort of a mix between a Passat Estate and an Audi Sport Quattro!

Great website btw, I like the idea of driving a 'Vintage' car!

Cheers,

Drew.

Well, the first Mk1s are 32 years old now, and the first *production* watercooled VW is 36 years old:

http://www.davealvin.com/vwk70/vwk70.html

As for the Fox Wagon, the reason I like it is because it reminds me of the Sciwago:

http://www.scirocco2.de/5111.htm

http://www.samworld.de/infosciwago.htm

Hope I showed ya some wierd cars you had never heard of! ;)

#NAME?

Back to the top
hi mate, some nice rides there,
im interested in your cabby 2.0 crossflow got any pics of that, the engine sounds interesting, post up some details if you can, theres loads of ragtop owners on here!!!!
cheers and welcome

rebuild in progress....

Back to the top
Welcome bud,
                   love the black one, weird design but very nice, hope you enjoy ur stay bud :wink:

Back to the top

cabriaulait said

hi mate, some nice rides there,
im interested in your cabby 2.0 crossflow got any pics of that, the engine sounds interesting, post up some details if you can, theres loads of ragtop owners on here!!!!
cheers and welcome

I don't have any recent pics of the Cabby, here is an old picture just after I got the motor in there:

http://www.vintagewatercooleds.com/~scirocco/P0000655.JPG

The ABA was a US market only engine from what I understand.  115 hp and 122 ft lbs of torque.   It used a long stroke design, and as I understand, the bottom end was used in the UK market ABF (2.0 16v).

#NAME?

Back to the top
Love the corrardo, had one myself but not sure about the badge though!!
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.