Skip navigation

Hi all, new member here

Back to the top
Hi everyone

Just a quick hello. I recently got myself a mk1 gti. After a decade of wanting one I was finally in a position to get my hands on one.

I got a late one, Aug 83, silver tin top which has all the campaign parts but is a DW not an EW. It was completely restored a couple of years ago but still has a few niggles to sort so I'll be asking questions!

Looking forward to getting involved!

Cheers

Back to the top
Welcome!
You've come to the right place for questions - very helpful and knowledgeable folk on here.
Great choice of car, let's see some pictures.

J

My rebuild thread I will try and keep up to date: here

K-Jet fuel pressure test guage How-To

Back to the top
welcome to the group

Do not know a lot but willing to help if possible

1989 Sapphire Blue Mk1 Cabriolet KR
1985 Atlas Grey Mk2 GTI 2.0 ABF

Back to the top
Thank you!
Screenshot_20220615-200904_Chrome.jpg Screenshot_20220615-200916_Chrome.jpg Screenshot_20220615-200922_Chrome.jpg

Last edit: by ESEN

Back to the top
Very nice!

Back to the top
Welcome to the forum. What a lovely looking car and hope you are enjoying it?

I guess you mean the engine is DX as a DW is a 2388cc 6 cylinder diesel…
The DX is the right engine for a 83 car as VW switch from the EW 1.6 in 82.
The DX has better low down grunt so a much better engine in my opinion  :thumbs:

1988 Mk1 Golf GTi Cabriolet 1.8cc DX, K-jet. Daily drive. 317,000 miles and counting
1978 Mk1 Scirocco GLS 1.6cc FR, Webber carb. Weekend toy.

Back to the top
Thank you. Yes loving it so far. Few things to sort like trying to lower the seat so I fit better at 6'4" and a few knocks and rattles.

It is a DX engine code but I was referring to the VIN. I understood 'real' campaign models were EW vin codes,  but mine is a DW vin code with all the campaign parts.  I may be completely wrong though!

Back to the top
Is there not a lever to lower the seat base the other side from the lever to move the backwards and forwards?
There is a cabriolet but not sure in a tin top?

1988 Mk1 Golf GTi Cabriolet 1.8cc DX, K-jet. Daily drive. 317,000 miles and counting

Back to the top
Tin tops aren't about the luxuries Mark!
Jokes aside, I think options for lowering the seat are limited unless you swap the seats out, or make serious modifications to the existing ones.
Fair play for squeezing in though. I have a mate who is 6'6" and he had a mk2 for a while and that was a squeeze for him. You certainly didn't want to sit behind him!

Back to the top
No it's a fixed height on the mk1 tin tops, and it's high, for me at least. Apparently you can put early scirocco or mk2 seats in with some tweaking, which do have the height adjustability. I'm hoping to fit a mk1 scirocco base to my mk1 golf seat back but probably not simple…

Back to the top
Well I've leaned something today, strange that the cabriolets have height adjusting seats when you don't have to worry about head room when the sun is shining  :lol: .

Back to the top
Was your car by any chance an import when new, I have something in the back of my poor memory re DW code. I'm sure there is a local car to me in campaign spec, low owner which had been brought back from Germany as a  Soldiers personal import?
Looks nice btw ;)

Back to the top
From what I can work out, it's a UK car but it spent a few years in Ireland and then came back here a couple of years ago.

I wondered if it was just given all the campaign parts as its such a late car, mid Aug 83 and they had them left over so stuck them on!

Back to the top
Hi, just want to say hello. I have just joined after buying a 1984 golf gti convertible. It is in reasonably good condition but needs some tidying up. Looking forward to getting my hands dirty and sourcing the parts i need.

Back to the top
Hi, I was looking at convertibles too, but realised they only had lap belts in the back, and as I'll need to put child seats in sometimes, I thought it probably wasn't the best plan.

Oh and as was pointed out to me, we need photos!

Back to the top
Had a quick search to try to ease my mind :lol:

Campaign Controversy - The Mk1 Golf Owners Club

Back to the top
Interesting stuff! Thanks for posting that.
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.