Skip navigation

1987 Golf Clipper returns to the family...

Back to the top
Hi all – wanted to introduce myself and introduce you all to my newly-acquired 1987 Clipper Cabrio 1.8. This car was bought brand new by my father and has been handed around the family for the last 35 years. The previous keeper – a family friend – has had it for the past ~15 years, but has had to move it on due to ULEZ. So I jumped at the chance to have it back – the car that brought me home from the hospital!

The car is incredibly original, materially untouched since new other than a Weber conversion – still on the original Whites Wimbledon dealer plates front and back. Inevitably it’s a little battle-scarred from 35 years of on-road parking in London and ~100k miles (cosmetically neglected would be a fair assessment…), but drives great and easily keeps up with modern traffic.

I believe ’87 was the only year of small-bumper Clippers – a transition year between the GL Cabrio and the ‘88-onwards ‘Clipper kit’ big bumper Clipper cabrios, but correct me if I’m wrong…

Currently debating what the next steps are – I want to keep it pretty original but realistically it needs some meaningful body work and a repaint to look at its best. In the interim I’ll be replacing obvious cosmetic deficiencies so give me a shout if you have any of the following on a shelf in the garage:

- Black / chrome waistline mouldings – it’s missing two, N/S front and N/S door, plus O/S rear quarter is missing the chrome
- Front / back small bumpers – it seems near impossible to get hold of bumpers with the contrast / chrome trim, which has completely deteriorated
…and a bunch of interior bits and pieces

Look forward to being part of the MK1 community!

IMG_4727.jpeg
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.