Skip navigation

MK1 UK Virgin!

Back to the top

89 Cabrio clipper (Auto) questions..

Hi

I am brand new to the forum and pretty much the same for MK1's

I have just purchased an 89 (G plate) Cabrio clipper (Auto) its in very good condition and clocks at 71K so hopefully its a gem and not a white elephant!

Being a bit of a perfectionist I have set about taking the dash out to get to the cluster with the aim of renewing all bulbs blow and /or dim (all back in working order after new LED's and some trace repairs using Anders metal glue, ground related between the flasher bulb and the 10v stabiliser), I would say i'm pretty dextrous or at least always willing to try and learn new things. After a look around the car this weekend I have taken a few questions of things that if poss I could have the guys on here identify and/or give me some help on.
There are two cable behind the stereo/blower control that have been terminated with scotch locks are these for something no longer required, i.e old stereo illumination?

The other images are of cable under the bonnet that I need to identify if poss, the bulk near the fuel filter I assume were for the vacuum bottle removed when the webber went, a grey shrouded cable to the right of the scuttle tray which has a black connector on and a cut black/yellow cable near the sensor on the side of the engine block. IMG_4546.jpg

All the best, stay safe during these crazy times and I look forward to bringing her to a meet sometime soon! IMG_4542.jpg
IMG_4543.jpg IMG_4544.jpg IMG_4547.jpg

Back to the top
It's pretty hard to guess what random disconnected cables are.

As you say, the grey/blue in the dash is most likely the illumination rail - quite possibly to dim the stereo display. Easy to check if it goes live with the lights.

For the yellow its hard to say. The blower has a yellow wire around there. It's also a popular colour for replacement wires. A lot of stereos use yellow as constant power so that would be my guess. Again, easy to test.

If you really want to know, it's actually not that hard to remove the dash and have a look.

Whip
/wip/
Noun - Car

When the steering wheel was first put into use in automobiles, it was called the whip. The term has now been generalised to classify any automobile.

Back to the top
Thanks for the feedback - I'll try and trace them back at some pint soon. Did you have an idea on the cable with black connector under the bonnet? It appears to have a black and brown cable Terminated to the connector, the whole cable is around a metre or so long with a grey jacket on it.

Cheers 

Back to the top

MK1 UK Virgin!

Im sorry i cant help your wiring issues. But just wanted to say welcome to the club .i too have a 1990 1.8 cabriolet automatic. There few and far between. Good find that

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Back to the top
Welcome to another member to the Clipper Automatic club, mines a 1992 with a Weber carb.
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.