Skip navigation

First car - mk1 Cabriolet Rivage

Back to the top
Hi,

Names Max and i'm 17. My first car is a mk1 Golf cabriolet Rivage. It's a bit tatty but I've had it about 7/8 months and me and my dad are slowly repairing and improving it. I came here to learn more about my car and ask for help when needed!

We collected it from Birmingham on a trailer. Seller said the water pump had gone, turns out it was the head gasket. Had the head off with complete rebuild and skim and rebuilt with all new engine sensors. Runs great now but still lots of work to do. Just had all suspension replaced with Bilstein standard struts and Eibach lowering springs with all new bushes, top mounts etc. Body work is rough and boot floor is pretty rotten, but will be sorted once it's driving reliably and well. Hydraulic hood is fine. Driver's side electric window works but passengers side doesn't, (need help with this). Had to buy a wet/dry vacuum to get about 2 litres of water out of the passenger side carpet. Water drains under bonnet scuttle panel were completely blocked up with leaves and dirt.

Back to the top
Welcome along mate.

Nice car for your first!

Look forward to the updates

Ian

Cornish Host.
1980 VW Derby
Clive the Cabby
Ujum the Invisible
Mynx the  Tintop

Back to the top

First car - mk1 Cabriolet Rivage

Looking forward to some pics.
I have a Green Rivage LTH.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"Making Cabbies More Beautiful One Roof at a Time" 

Back to the top
Nice 1st car, I bet your insurance company loves you  :lol:

Strange having a rusty boot floor as not normal for them to rust unless someone has neglected the roof and replaced when it's shot or the rear window frame is rusting away and letting in water, have a feel along the bottom of the metal frame to see if it's rusty or a water damaged parcel shelf is another sign.

Post up some pictures and maybe start a build thread as we always like to see what others are up to.
Seems like you and your dad have been busy over the last few months…

1988 Mk1 Golf GTi Cabriolet 1.8cc DX, K-jet. Daily drive. 317,000 miles and counting
1978 Mk1 Scirocco GLS 1.6cc FR, Webber carb. Weekend toy.
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.