Skip navigation

newbie: fist golf mk1 purchase

Back to the top

mk1 advice

thanks for adding me to the owners forum

im bolton based golf mk2 owner that has just bought a mk1 campaign that needs a lot of work

i bought the car a few months ago and sent it off to the body shop to start the restoration process,  the car arrived with what looks like a mk2 engine (EV code), i read the mk1 campaigns are a DX engine code. volkswagon sent me a certificate of authentication showing the engine was originally a DX

can anyone advise me what alternative engine i can fit relatively easy while tring keeping it as original as possible, ive kept a look out for DX engines but not come across anything as yey. i guess the original parts are quite rare now

any advice is much appreciated

thanks
Dale

IMG_3492 (1).JPG IMG_3493.JPG IMG_3494.JPG Hello IMG_3490 (1).JPG

Back to the top
Welcome along mate.

Shouldn't be too hard to find a dz engine as with all the engine swaps being done there's plenty floating about.

Biggest problem is that they aren't normally a ought after so most people don't really put them up for sale too often.

Keep your eyes open on the Forum tho.

Ian

Cornish Host.
1980 VW Derby
Clive the Cabby
Ujum the Invisible
Mynx the  Tintop

Back to the top
Thanks very much!!!

what engine would you sugest? do you know if a mk 2 8v engine a streight forward enough replacement

thanks!!!

Back to the top
Sorry that should have read DX but the damn phone decided to auto correct for me!

Stick a wanted ad up and make sure people know you're after an engine.

Have a read through the build threads and anyone doing an engine swap should have an engine left over.

Otherwise any 1800 will go in with little or no changes or problems as they're all basically the same.

Ian

Cornish Host.
1980 VW Derby
Clive the Cabby
Ujum the Invisible
Mynx the  Tintop

Back to the top
thanks Ian for the sound advice!!!!

Back to the top
Hi , welcome . Good to see another mk1 saved 👍. Does the shell need much work ? Also there's an engine on eBay item number 113293739060 Dx code ! Might be of use for you ? All best 

Back to the top
Hello, thanks for the advice. i looked at this engine before but i thought it ight be better to see if i can hold out for a full engine and gearbox

the shell is pretty solid to be fair, i bought it blind and when it was delivered i was surprised with how compleate it was, it came with a engine but it was litrally dropped in with just the bolts dropped through the mounts to keep it from falling out

apart from that everything else seems to be there like the stitched steering wheel, pillar trims blue tinted glass, the seats are in great condition and all the interior/exterior parts are there

it needs a full respray but not much welding, hardest part upto now was finding the original p-slots, luckily i found a set on ebay that were the right spec, they even came with the pirelli badged centre caps

ive always wanted a mk1 so ive landed lucky to get a campaign this original for reasonable money. think i may need to sell some of the vw collection soon its getting out of hand :lol:
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.