Skip navigation

Reluctant Newbie

Back to the top
Hi all, I'm Spangle and I live in Worcester, I've have a few Aircooled VW's and a few MK2 Golfs over the years.I'm about to become the reluctant owner of my Dad's 1979 Mars Red Mk1 Gti. After 22 years of owning it and restoring it his health is declining and he's passing on his pride and joy to myself.In 1996/7 he and the Car featured in a magazine VW add. I look forward to using this place to keep her ticking along and alive for another 33+ yearsDan

I'm not scared of spanners but i'm no machanic.

Back to the top
I was wondering why someone would be a reluctant owner until I read on. Sad circumstances, but with all the support and knowledge on here you will be able to keep it just as your Dad would like.

Some pictures of such an early car would be great when you get chance

Golf GTI Campaign 1983 Mars Red, Ford S-Max 2015, Audi TT 180 quattro 2003, Fiat 500C 2013, Golf GTE MK7.5

image.jpeg

Back to the top
Yes sad story attached to reluctant new owner..hope that you enjoy the club..and that even if you don't like the car both you and car will have friends here.

On the drive
T25 Diesel…sameoldblueshiŁ (currently under resto)
Rocco gt2….1990 secret 2…(currently under resto)
Mk4 99 1.8t indigo blue Gti with 43k miles
Caster 93 clipper JH Green cabby
Snowy 91 GTi White cabby( sat waiting for inspiration)
Myvalver 89 GTi Grey mk2 16v
Yuppy Flu 91 GTi Flash Red Sportline

Golf mk1 owner's club on Spotify

Mk1 golf owners club playlist: Golf mk1 owner's club playlist - YouTube

Back to the top
Sorry to hear about you Dad Dan, but welcome to a fantastic club, who's members will assist you to keep your Dad's pride and joy up to scratch and on the road.

Be great to see some pics

Cheers

Rich

SOUTHWEST Regional Host. Bristol Meet - 1st Friday of the month - Toby Carvery Bradely Stoke Bristol Bristol Region Facebook Group
1.8T CABBY
TINTOP THREAD (SOLD 2016) SPORTLINE THREAD (SOLD 2015) CLIPPER THREAD (SOLD 2012) Banner

Back to the top
Thanks for the warm welcome.

I love the car, I just wish the circumstances in which I became owner were happier ones :)

I forgot in my opening post my fist VW, (to try and put me off buying a Splitty) was a sky blue 1976 Mk1 Golf C, my Dad bought me when I came home from Uni.

It didn't work, within 6 month I had a 1955 Type 2 and a 1972 1302 sat on the drive :)

I'm now down to a 1969 1300 that's in bits and going to get sold off to fund The GTI's upkeep and a couple of modern work horses. An 02 Sharan, I'm about to PX on a MK7 Golf and a 51plate Polo match that's hanging on in there just.

This was the GTi a few years ago, its only done a few 100 miles since.

Before anyone points it out we know the stripes are upside down ;)

Back to the top
Looks a really tidy example from the picture and you obviously have VW in your blood!

Even TV's Ed China got the stripes upside down - a simple fix though.

What is the tartan interior like? Many faded badly although reproduction material is at least available now.

Golf GTI Campaign 1983 Mars Red, Ford S-Max 2015, Audi TT 180 quattro 2003, Fiat 500C 2013, Golf GTE MK7.5

image.jpeg

Back to the top
Welcome to the club buddy. Car looks lovely - do you have any future plans for it or are you going to keep it original?

Back to the top

RichardHall said

What is the tartan interior like? Many faded badly although reproduction material is at least available now.

The interior is in need of some attention. The seats currently have badly fitted covers on, I can't remember what's underneath them at the moment. The cars still in my Dads garage. The sale of Beetle parts is going to fund a re-trim and a parcel shelf.

What's the quality of the Repro material like, any links to a stockist? The new tartan available from VW is a different pattern isn't it?

The plan is to keep it as close to stock and original as I can.

Dan

Back to the top
VW Heritgage for one sell the cloth not sure about quality, although the later striped cloth that they do is very good from the people's cars I have seen retrimmed with it.

Now I am not sure if it applies to the tartan trim but on Original striped seats the cloth is reversable if it's just faded.

image.jpeg

Back to the top
That's a lovely looking car buddy - I can see why your dad hung on to it. Best of luck with the resto.

Compulsive buyer of knackered VWs!!!

Previous rides;

'81 Mk1 1100 C
'83 Mk1 1.8 GTI
'93 Corrado 16v 9A
'81 Mk1 GLI cab
'91 Mk2 16v KR
'89 T3 Whitestar
'87 T3 Caravelle GL
'95 Polo G40 LHD
'93 Mk1 Sportline LHD

Back to the top
Family heirloom! Keep it in the family!

Back to the top
Firstly welcome to the club, secondly sorry to hear about ya Dad, thirdly nice car!! & fourth, about the material try http://www.werk34.de/index.php/cat/c2595_Seat-Upholstery.html very recommended site if you can't source material UK, not sure if funk-star can help with material - http://www.classic-vw.co.uk/
if you get any issues at all there are some VERY knowledgeable people on here within the FORUMS who are more than happy to help. Fantastic support. Good luck, would like to see the progression you make. :thumbs:
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.