Skip navigation

New (sort of) from Cornwall!

Back to the top
Evening all!
Thought I'd best make an account on these forums having picked up a mk1 Clipper Cabriolet last week! I'm new to this forum but I have been on the mk2oc for almost a year now,  I have a 1.6 Driver which is currently being rebuilt and fitted with a 2.0 16v ABF.
Got a few questions so I'll probably hit the technical forums tomorrow…

For now, hello!
Matt

Back to the top

Back to the top
The middle image is the first I've taken since taking delivery. Removing the awful sticker bomb plate holder!

Sorry,  didn't mean to make it so many posts!

Back to the top
Welcome to the Club!
So tell us what you know about your new purchase?  :thumbs:

Sent by a smartphone and not a smartperson!

Play Guess the Asking Price 'SEASON 4' as of Sunday the 29th of October 2017.
https://vwgolfmk1.org.uk/forum/index.php?page=topicview&id=chat%2Fmk1-golf-chat_2%2Fguess-the-asking-price_2

OLD.
https://vwgolfmk1.org.uk/forum/index.php?page=topicview&id=chat%2Fmk1-golf-chat_2%2Fold-guess-the-asking

Ever wondered who's behind the scenes of this forum?
https://vwgolfmk1.org.uk/index.php?page=committee

Mike

There's me building mine 28 years ago, almost finished!        

001.JPG       

Be proud of your VW Golf Mk1, it's very special!

Back to the top
Well I swapped it with a friend for an e36 saloon that I had that was just sitting outside my mums house doing nothing. The story with that is that it was a daily skidder while I rebuilt my mk2 and the flywheel sheared it's ring, the clutch practically melted and the diff blew. Because I needed a car to get to work I bought an e46 coupe that is my current daily and fixed the e36. I got lazy with selling it and when I saw my friend was getting rid of this I offered him the e36 and £200. The cabby currently has no MOT. It was taken off the road to do the core plugs and never put back on before it ran out of MOT. The car is solid however, has a good look around and struggled to find any rust except on the front bumper iron. When we were getting it into the container it's currently sitting in it was dropped onto it's sills but I'm hoping there's no lasting damage. It's got a water leak out of the plastic coolant flange where the temp senders sit so I've ordered one of those as I think the whole unit might be split. The roof handle needs replacing and I need to replace the pattern drivers door handle with a genuine one as it doesn't like opening (had the same problem with my mk2) and other than that it seems fairly solid. The guy I got the car from fitted coilovers, a manual fan switch and an immobiliser. There's currently a bit of creamy mess under the oil cap but I think/hope that that's just condensation because it's only been started in the freezing cold, for short periods of time lately. It is low on water though so I won't be starting it much until I've fixed that. 

This is eventually going to be my girlfriends car when she passes her test (we're both 22 and it was easier for me to drive first with my passion for cars) but for now it's looking likely that I may get the mk1 on the road as my daily and sell the e46 as it's a very thirsty 2.5 straight six. 

Here's a pic of my cars and the wheels we picked up for the cabby for cheap, going to do a refurb and tyres. 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Back to the top
Oh and the tank that controls the roof is split and leaks. I don't really understand how it works so once I've worked it out I'll look into replacing it. 

Edit; another mod I've remembered is the Weber carb that replaced what I'm guessing was a rubbish Pierburg like my mk2 had. 

Last edit: by mbusby993

Back to the top
Watcha Matt,

Welcome to the club.

Have a look at the links in my signature and join up to the facebook page as well.
We're in Camborne and currently have 4 mk1 variants in the fleet plus the green Derby that you might have seen about.

Give us a holler if you need a hand with owt!

Cheers

Ian

Cornish Host.
1980 VW Derby
Clive the Cabby
Ujum the Invisible
Mynx the  Tintop

Back to the top

borednow said

Watcha Matt,

Welcome to the club.

Have a look at the links in my signature and join up to the facebook page as well.
We're in Camborne and currently have 4 mk1 variants in the fleet plus the green Derby that you might have seen about.

Give us a holler if you need a hand with owt!

Cheers

Ian

Just popped a request to join in. I've not seen the Derby, but I would have loved it if I'd seen it around!
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.