Skip navigation

Mk1 clipper running rough

Back to the top

At a dead end

Hi guys new to all this i have a mk1 clipper on a 92 with a ex engine and a 2e carb auto choke changed the leads and plugs rota arm  and dizzy checked vac pipes  and carb settings  and  bottom mount  all ok timming seems ok and is sparking  but still missing on one cylinder a bit and when warm it want idle can anyone help or know anyone good to help in near Manchester or around northwest I am in the car trade my self and have taken it to a few garages I know but still not solved  thanks 

Back to the top

Mk1 clipper running rough

Hi welcome aboard,
There's a how to section on here that shows how to set up the pieburg 2e2 up properly well worth a read.

If it's not carbed related I'd look at dizzy cap and rotor arm. Sometimes the caps have a hairline crack in them.  Have you put new leads and dizzy on or checked rotor arm for wear?

Cheers

Chortle

"Making Cabbies More Beautiful One Roof at a Time" 

Back to the top
Ye New dizzy and new rotor arm has been put on will have. A look at the set up on the carb sure it ok cheers  IMG_2340-1.jpg

Back to the top
I have still had no luck yet and will be going away for winter soon thinking of give up on the original engine and putting in a abf 16v instead now my way around these better shame wanted to not go down that route coz the car is original and wanted to keep it that Way any thoughts  IMG_2364-20150715-213425517.jpg

Back to the top
IMG_2366-1.jpg

Or should I aaa engine in it had a vr6 for a long time now and has never need anything apart from a service best engine I have ever had and i have had loads of car as I buy and sell cars to the trade for a living

Back to the top
IMG_2366-1.jpg

Or should I aaa engine in it had a vr6 for a long time now and has never need anything apart from a service best engine I have ever had and i have had loads of car as I buy and sell cars to the trade for a living

Back to the top
Try to stick with the engine if at all possible for all the reasons I'm sure you're aware of being in the trade. 

Not sure if rubjonny has seen this but he might just haven't and idea or two!  :thumbs:

Sent from my mobile phone. 

Sent by a smartphone and not a smartperson!

Play Guess the Asking Price 'SEASON 4' as of Sunday the 29th of October 2017.
https://vwgolfmk1.org.uk/forum/index.php?page=topicview&id=chat%2Fmk1-golf-chat_2%2Fguess-the-asking-price_2

OLD.
https://vwgolfmk1.org.uk/forum/index.php?page=topicview&id=chat%2Fmk1-golf-chat_2%2Fold-guess-the-asking

Ever wondered who's behind the scenes of this forum?
https://vwgolfmk1.org.uk/index.php?page=committee

Mike

There's me building mine 28 years ago, almost finished!        

001.JPG       

Be proud of your VW Golf Mk1, it's very special!

Back to the top
Possible air leak .. have you tried squirting wd40 or something similar around the base of the carburettor to check for leaks, Is the rubber carb mount new? or just  looks ok? .. Have you done a compression test ? Pierburg carbs are notorious for causing issues maybe worth swapping for a known good one from someone? Nice looking car …I`d keep it standard

Back to the top
Carb mount is ok had the carb off and pipes are ok compression is good on all cylinders but cylinder 4 is the problem missing some Times checked the timing to just want idle now very well 

Back to the top
And then stalling I will upload a video on Wednesday if I can

Back to the top
I`m guessing you`ve taken the carb off and cleaned it thoroughly ? Blocked idle jet ? Idle adjusted? , Idle cut out valve ? just throwing some ideas at ya .. sounds like you may have 2 issues .. have you swapped plugs and leads over to see if the missing moves to another cylinder .. A duff lead or plug would cause the car to cut out at Idle

Back to the top
I put new leads plugs Rota arm and dizzy on but still same it just seems to on one cylinder 4 and its intermittent at missing not as bad when revs are over 2000 rpm but then cuts out I have a 2e carb with automatic choke thats why I don't really want to put another carb on it coz will have to put a manual choke on it and rather not 

Back to the top
Sticking valve

Back to the top
I thought it may be 
Will have a look on Wednesday was hoping it wasn't 

Back to the top
I sometimes have this problem if I don't let it warm up properly, last time I changed the fuel filter it cleared the problem for a bit but then it happened again recently,

I have got a weber carb with manual choke so I just pulled the choke out a tiny bit and it ran fine.

Could be a fuelling issue???

Mousey.

Back to the top
Looked at it this morning but seems to be a little bit better but still missing slightly Not stalling as much now does anybody know a good place to do the timing and check the cab settings cheers guys

Back to the top
Has anyone used Volksmaster Oldham or bury ? Think I'll get a new fuel filter and put it on this week but will take it somewhere I think still
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.