Skip navigation

Hello from sunny Southport

Back to the top
Hello to everybody, Let me intrduce myself everybody knows me calls me Drew and an premature old fart, My screen name comes from my first love and hobby ( don,t tell the wife ) i collect restore and show old vintage stationary engines. I am also a dreded caravaner but if you can keep up with me whilst im towing you are doing well now driving miss daisy. So whuy have i joined the forum in my past i have been a mechanic and then a car salesman sorry person selling vw audi cars in the late 80,s, now i sell car parts for a local indipendent motorfactor, I have been looking for a restoration project for a while and have looked at many makes and models but most go past my affordability, untill a mk 1 golf cabby came up on a major auction site. The car didn,t sell so i made an enquiry and an offer which was accepted. I follow most advice on buying a classic cars the biggest one is buy the best car you can afford well i have, WHAT HAVE I DONE onw very big jigsaw and no picture. It is a 1985? gti? the log book is no help and the chassis no does'nt seem to work it is a small bumper model and most of the body work is there as for the inside i have not had a chance to go through all the boxes. have a look at the pictures and call me mad if you wish as most of the family members that have seen it think i am already, looking forward to talking and meeting you .

Back to the top
Hello and welcome to the forum.

Cheers, Dave.

Banner

Back to the top
Welcome to the Club Drew, sounds like your spare time is pretty well booked out.

You've come to the best place for advice if you need any that is!  :lol:  :thumbs:

Sent by a smartphone and not a smartperson!

Play Guess the Asking Price 'SEASON 4' as of Sunday the 29th of October 2017.
https://vwgolfmk1.org.uk/forum/index.php?page=topicview&id=chat%2Fmk1-golf-chat_2%2Fguess-the-asking-price_2

OLD.
https://vwgolfmk1.org.uk/forum/index.php?page=topicview&id=chat%2Fmk1-golf-chat_2%2Fold-guess-the-asking

Ever wondered who's behind the scenes of this forum?
https://vwgolfmk1.org.uk/index.php?page=committee

Mike

There's me building mine 28 years ago, almost finished!        

001.JPG       

Be proud of your VW Golf Mk1, it's very special!

Back to the top
If you are not sure of the age (1985?) then check the 10th digit of the chassis number; F = 1985.
That is year of manufacture, not necessarily year of registration.
What do you mean by "chassis no does'nt seem to work"?

Anyway; looks like a good project…….enjoy!

The Red Rocket! My Mk1 Tdi Build.....

My VAG family:

1982 Mk1, PD130 Tdi, 6 speed, ongoing project, to be my daily driver (one day)!
1983 Mk1, 1.8 Gti, stripped out, ongoing project, track car only.
1990 Mk1 Cabrio, 1.8 8v Turbo, G60 ECU, long term project (17 years so far)!
2008 T5 LWB, 1.9 Tdi, to be converted to camper when I've finished using it as a van!
1999 Audi A4 Avant Quattro, 2.5 Tdi, currently off the road, more work required.
2010 Tiguan R-Line, daily driver. 

Back to the top
I have used a couple of chassis no checkers on the Web but don't bring up any details, all say chassis no incorrect.
I have asked the local dealer he has confirmed 1985 but that is all he can tell me. It has badges for a gti but I want to make sure so I know what trim to restore it to.
I have a request in to vw uk but no reply yet. The chassis plate on the front panel hasn't been tampered with, but I can't remember where else it is stamped on the car.

Back to the top
Chassis number is also stamped on the scuttle panel in the little window in the plastic cover.

The Red Rocket! My Mk1 Tdi Build.....

My VAG family:

1982 Mk1, PD130 Tdi, 6 speed, ongoing project, to be my daily driver (one day)!
1983 Mk1, 1.8 Gti, stripped out, ongoing project, track car only.
1990 Mk1 Cabrio, 1.8 8v Turbo, G60 ECU, long term project (17 years so far)!
2008 T5 LWB, 1.9 Tdi, to be converted to camper when I've finished using it as a van!
1999 Audi A4 Avant Quattro, 2.5 Tdi, currently off the road, more work required.
2010 Tiguan R-Line, daily driver. 

Back to the top
Hey Drew,

Welcome to the club! Do you know the registration of the car, could check with the DVLA, assuming that's not been changed - do you have a log book?

Look like you have a bit of a project on your hands, but a fun one! Get that bonnet covered up though you don't want any rust on exposed internals (I'm sure you're aware of this anyways :P )

Where about's are you from in southport, my mrs is from there originally so we head up that way sometimes, more Birkdale though really

Si

1986 Cabriolet (long resto!)
1983 Cabriolet (daily pain in the bum)
1983 T25 (weekend pain in the bum)

Follow us on:

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/vwgolfmk1oc/
Twitter: https://www.facebook.com/vwgolfmk1oc/
Instagram: https://www.facebook.com/vwgolfmk1oc/

Banner

Back to the top
I an just down the road in Ainsdale.
Car is covered with a tarp awaiting garage space.

Back to the top
hello mate i`m over in birkdale and joined here about 6 or 7 months ago.I bought an 89 clipper as a small project   
but not quite as much work as yours.A mate of mine is based in kew road and he`s worked on vw`s for 30 years serving his time at zetland garage.He`s very knowledable on all golfs and if you need any advise or help i`m sure he`d be willing to help out,good luck and hope to see you around ,mark.

Back to the top
Thanks for that I may need to have a look at your motor to see how far away I truly am, I also worked at Zetland garage but as a salesman what is the name of your friend I may know him.
Good to here from someone close I will probably need moral support hope to meet you soon. Drew ;)

Back to the top
hello mate,its kev roberts i`m talking about ,good lad. :)

Back to the top
I know Kevin very well I am now in the parts trade and supply him with what ever he needs small world.:o

Back to the top
top lad kev,i dont mind doin the smaller bits myself but anything like MOTs and stuff like that he does . :thumbs:
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.