Skip navigation

Back to the top

hi all,

i'm new to the forum

would like to share my project… i managed to get hold of a mk1 1983 3 door gti in black, a friend had it as a daily drive and was moving away so need rid, i managed to pick it up fairly cheap and have been in love with it since

it was in pretty sound condition the odd scratch and worn seats as id expect from a car thats close to 30years old.

i've slowly broughgt it back to mechanically sound.

new brakes all round briaded lines new break fluid
ht leads and spark plugs a full service
wishbones on the front have been replaced and oil leak fixed from the oil filter housing
poly bushes up front including engine mounts

the car its self came fitted with coil overs not sure what make.

doing some work…. had to change the centre part of the exshaust as it was rusted through

i've brought some bbs rs's there 15" by 6.5" plan is to fit them and maybe put the golf on air bags? not sure yet but the bbs's needed refurbing first so i took it apon myself to split these myself. nothing to difficult if you've got a friends wife who's understanding of using the oven to help aid splitting the 3 sections haha

bbs's when the arrived

splitting the wheels

sent the lips off and center nuts for polishing and the center parts for powder coating, these are the wheels to date.

so there she is a work in progress hope to keep you's all informed with my progress on the build, still a lot to be done. the car will eventually go in for a full respray etc

Back to the top
Welcome to the club  :D  :D

Done a great job on the wheels looks a tidy car.

Laughed at the 2nd piccie, that plate of butties would have been polished in 2 seconds by Charlie (the dog) :roll:

Back to the top
wats on ur sandwich !!!

Back to the top
Yeah I don't think I finished the sandwich and crisps that day was well pushed for time. Haha

Back to the top
looks good, funny how i noticed the sandwhich as well, were all a bunch of hungry buggers here lol

Welcome to the club, the car looks really nice make sure you check out the link on the top left of the page where you can see the benefits of paid membership its only £15 a year and you make the savings up with the benefits really quick

Where are you based?

BBS are looking very nice after refurb!

SOUTHWEST Regional Host. Bristol Meet - 1st Friday of the month - Toby Carvery Bradely Stoke Bristol Bristol Region Facebook Group
1.8T CABBY
TINTOP THREAD (SOLD 2016) SPORTLINE THREAD (SOLD 2015) CLIPPER THREAD (SOLD 2012) Banner

Back to the top
based in colchester essex.
cheers the bbs's aren't quite finished yet still gotta get the barrels pounder coated and rebuild them shouldn't be to hard i'm hoping

Back to the top
Hi and welcome to the forum. Looks a smashing MK1. Nice ongoing project. Good luck.

Back to the top
looks great, welcome aboard

chris

Chris

Banner

Back to the top
Thanks.

Back to the top
right haven't been on the forum in a while so was gonna update my progress with this little beaut, seems to be more of a slow progress but here goes

the last time I was building the wheel these where finished and run them on the car for a while, wasn't happy with the tyre choice so changed them out

while I had these off I'd got some porches scripted door handles and fitted them……at this point the projects started to snowball, fitted the door handles temporarily and when I took the armour plates off, the doors weren't to straight and was rusty underneath the dents in the body work where getting me down, so I thought its time for a new paint job and a freshen up.
sourced some parts first up stainless steel small bumpers, new head lights new grill and red surround, new badges all round,new carbon fibre rear splats as the plan is to remove the arches and have them rolled and resealed. and at this poimt it had a full carbon bonnet too.

as I was saying the paint was tired and worn a few dents all over her, scratches and rust not much or at least on the surfaces anyway.
the car went in for a full respray, when she was being dismantled we found the odd rust spots on the rear aches and the back boot, spare wheel hole needed welding to.
had all this done and new arches crafted in

the cars going back black never had in mind to change the colour, the vinyl's arfe going back too. Had to buy new door pins as the drivers door had dropped and was scratching the bottom of the door and hard to shut at times, bloody annoying. new side trims in black and new door seals ordered to…………….as I said it seems to have snowballed, at the moment this   shes in primer

haha I've also painted the garage ready for its return, I found a full g60 conversion for it to. which at this current rate will end up being fully rebuilt and and the bay resprayed and smoothed starting to be a really labour of love, most of the spanner work i'll do myself but the body work has to go to the pros
that will just leave the interior?? not sure what my plans are with that now, that seems miles away.
raising some funds and family commitments seem to slow the project down but that's part of the fun I suppose

some shots of the garage and a fun "creep shot" of it before

0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.