Skip navigation

New member 1600 GLi bodywork and seats

Back to the top

New member 1600 GLi bodywork and seats

Hi there folks,
I've just been given a 1981 MK1 Golf 1600GLi cabriolet. It's not been run for two years, needs two new front wings and could do with the front seats being filled with new stuffing - they're very baggy! Otherwise the car seems fine, sills and suspension points look good. Please could someone give me an idea of how much it should cost to have the front wings replaced and where I could get the upholstery done and how much that would cost - the seats seem to be black vinyl and are not torn. I live near Guildford in Surrey. Thanks very much for any assistance.

Back to the top
Welcome aboard :D

Sounds like a reasonable price to me :lol:

Show us a pic!

Banner

Back to the top
Will do as soon as I can get a decent one. Is there any chance of moving the post to a forum where I may get a reply on the queries ? Thanks!

Back to the top
just start a new one matey! probably in the resto section :dontknow:

welcome by the way, what are your plans for it then? and looking forward to the pics!

rebuild in progress....

Back to the top
Hi there,
Plans are to replace the doors [ bought a set off e-bay in white - same colour as the car ]. Buy and fit a battery, strip out the old scorpion immobiliser and try and start the car. Then off for an MOT to see if it's worth further restoration. If it passes, have the front wings replaced [ probably by a bodyshop ] and then try and restuff the seats myself. After that since the car is VERY original and otherwise in very good nick drive it for a while. To be honest the reason I have it is that I've always hankered after a soft top car and it's very similar mechanically to my Porsche 924 which I've just sold. Ultimately it will have to go though because it only has lap belts in the rear which are no good for the kids. I think that  will be a real pity, but I am keen to repair the car as I think it is in very little need of restoration and will look great without too much trouble. Not bad for a car that was free. …Any comments or suggestions would be welcome.

Back to the top
lucky for you cos your near london you can get full belts fitted, search it, i think it was tian who found the guy! sounds like youve got a good project there m8 nice 1

rebuild in progress....

Back to the top
Thanks that's very helpful !  - I've just pm'd him

Back to the top
Thanks that's very helpful !  - I've just pm'd him
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.