Skip navigation

New Cabrio owner - 1986 1600 GL

Back to the top

New Cabrio owner - 1986 1600 GL

Totally new to Mk1's - been a Rover Coupe Turbo fanatic for years… but they keep letting me down. Spotted this on Ebay 3  weeks ago whilst looking for a BMW 5 series and decided to go for it. Bad start… 3 miles down the road the CV joint disintegrated… been in a Garage for 3 weeks waiting for parts, also found out driveshaft on same side was wrong size, but on the plus side, she checks out beautifully in every other aspect. Full VW service history, 93000 genuine miles… looks like she going to be a keeper…. New roof is about the only thing I plan to change for now, and maybe original wheels. I want to go original all the way… I've added some photos… what do you  think?

Back to the top
That looks in seriously good nick mate!!!!  For parts I use AVP, GSF and funk-star on here.  It's the joys of any old car bud something always needs doing but most things are achieveable for the DIY enthusiast.

Welcome to the mk1 family  :wink:

Back to the top
Looks a nice car. I am new to mk1s to and bought a cabby a year ago . I noticed u were in NE scotland and was wondering if it could have been you i saw driving across the tay bridge the other day as i spottd a dark grey c reg cabby with small bumpers and there are not alot in scotland. They are great cars for fiddling with.  

Welcome to the club

Russell

Back to the top
Do both of you guys go to the Scotland regional meet?  Check the regional section for details on it.  :wink:

Back to the top
I wasnt happy with the car at first, standing in the pouring rain waiting for a recovery truck just minutes after picking up… but those 3 miles she did drive, were lovely. Started first time, roared into life. Sweet… but shortlived. As I said earlier, garage have checked her over, and aside from the driveshaft, cvjoint and slight adjustment required to clutch cable, they've found no other issues. Still got to wait for the road test  though… so, no, as she's still in the Garage (mixup with part no's - delay in getting CV joint) it couldnt have been me on the bridge!! I wish.

The dates for the Knockhill meet are good for me, so, fingers crossed, if she's ready to go, I'll be there. I'm already looking forward to grilling the seasoned MK1 owners on a few "how to's"  :-)

I live near Elgin, so I may head up to Inverness to join the group at 7am.

Thanks for the comments.

Back to the top
Just noticed you are a fully paid member after 3 posts!!!!  Thank you for supporting the club.  It's non-profit it's run by enthusiasts for enthusiasts so it makes a big difference in keeping the site/mk1 family going….. thanks  :wink:

Also… now you are a member, put yourself on the members map on the left….. only put roughly where you live don't pin point it.  That way people can see if you are near them and it helps with meets, help, convoys etc  :wink:

Back to the top
Welcome to the club Gazza, your car looks the business, even better with the member sticker which is in your pack and posted !!

Dave.

Cheers, Dave.

Banner

Back to the top
Hi

welcome to the club
All going well see you sunday at knockhill :D
cheers
baz

Back to the top
hello and welcome aboard, nice looking cabby mate

chris n helen

Chris

Banner

Back to the top
Welcome to the 'early, small bumper cabby clique'!!!
You'll hear a lot of guff about Rivages… But don't believe all you read!!!  :mrgreen: Good condition small bumper models = "Keeping it real"!!!! Ha ha ha!!!  :roll:

Thanks for becoming a member so quickly too!

Ta, Dan
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.