Skip navigation

Mk1 Golf GTi 1983. My new purchase!!

Back to the top

Mk1 Golf GTi 1983. My new purchase!!

Hi everyone, I'd like to introduce myself to the board as I'm gonna be a regular here from now on. I've just bought a 1983 Mk1 Golf Gti and I'd like to get feedback, ideas , impressions from everyone and anyone - experts and novices alike.

Ive owned a mk3 for years and have loved golfs since i was about 7 yrs old but have never had the opportunity to restore one but this bargain came along and I couldn't say no hehe.

I've attached some photos of the car taken last summer when my friend bought the car however due to personal reasons she has to sell and knew I'd gradually improve her with TLC. (Im a designer by day so I've got a fair eye when it comes to the aesthetics but im new to hands on mechanical work).

Here are the list of parts/features the owner before my friend made to the car, he was a qualified mechanic and only sold it to work on his campervan.

Mk1 Glf GTi 1.8 Y Reg 1983

BBS RA Flat Race (Rare Original Mk1 Option)    apparently?

Koni Top Adjustables with poly front bump stops, ralley rears. Bonrath front top mounts.  All poly bushed.

Brakes - 16V 22m master cylinder and servo. Goodridge 6 line stainless steel brake hoses. Rear disc conversion. new brake pipes.

Miltec stainless steel with polymounts

1.6 Gti Gearbox & rebushed linkage

Rear Lights Pro Clears (M3 style)

De-locked passenger door

Uprated engine mounts, new pipes, hoses etc. new fuel lines and hoses. Stainless steel fuel neck and new fuel pump

Body underside waxoilled

Chrome - grill, side trims, fuel caps, dash surround, door pins, mirror adjustors, bumper inserts and overiders.

History file from 1991 onwards.

I hope the pics load, its been a while since i used html forums, so apologies if not. So to the bottom line….it's currently a none runner although personally I think it's the battery due to the hint it might start given with 30mins booster charging but anyway its a project …..

?300 is what I paid……thoughts anyone? please be nice lol.

Cheers
Jay

PS - bodywork is almost entirely rust free except for a tiny patch on the driver's side sill and a little o the tailgate as you can see in the pics. So basically….less than my mk3 ! lol

Back to the top
absolute bargain mate!  Its an awesome colour for mk1s  8)

Mk1 Golf 16V Conversion FAQ Zip, now located at in the Forum WIKI section: http://vwgolfmk1.org.uk/index.php?page=cedi&type=misc&id=42%2F26%2F3

Back to the top
very nice welcome anyway :D

Back to the top
what colour was it originally?   :wink:

worth double that just in parts!

let us know how you get on with the battery charging.

and of course welcome to the club. :y:

Back to the top
Welcometo the site, any question just ask, you bagged a bargain i reckon  :D

Back to the top
8O

are tintops cheap this time of year or something??

v nice car, really like that.

well done!

rebuild in progress....

Back to the top

cabriaulait said

8O

are tintops cheap this time of year or something??

v nice car, really like that.

well done!

cabbys are just cheep, full stop

WELCOME MATIE, BARGAIN

Back to the top
Looks a bargain, running or not! Why wasn't I there to buy it?
Welcome…tell us how you get on with the starting problem…
Martin

Back to the top
Hey guys, should be getting the car in the new few days. Can't wait! Thanks for your welcomes and words of assurance, I'm looking forward to getting her running and generally begin the process of imprving her.

As for the joke about bodywork marsredgti, tbh I'm a little baffled by the colour because theres little to no rust for a 25 yr old 202K mile car. Also the passenger door looks a little worn whereas the front passenger wing and back wing look immaculate. I've no doubt its been restored with other parts, thats inevitable and fine - im guessing most of your cars are !!

I do have a couple of questions though….does anyone have idea approx how mch its worth in its current state of not starting (with a lil booster charge the car goes from not turning over to attemptin to turn, then wears down and goes back to doing nothing)…. I'm NOT selling the car, just wondering about my investment outta curiousity hehe.

Also does anyone know anything about those alloys, can't find any reference to them online as either a BBS model or as an official VW original added extra…..?

Cheers :)

Back to the top
I'm sure the alloys ere not BBS and were not an option on the MK1. I cant think what they are off but probably a late 80's car maybe Astra GTE or similar?

83 Mars red GTI

01 V6 4Motion (daily driver)

09 Golf GTI MK6, candy white, superchipped!
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.