Skip navigation

Just purchased a 1981 VW Golf GTI - Ingleby Barwick, Stockton on Tees

Back to the top

1981 VW Golf GTI Restoration

Well, I just bought my first VW Golf MK1 GTI, this is a very different car to what I normally collect (Land Rover / Range Rover / Jaguars / Triumphs), but this was a opportunity that is hopefully to good to miss. I am collecting it at the beginning of April.

Any other owner in Ingleby Barwick, or Middlesbrough area.

Firstly, I know nothing about Golfs.

Secondly, I have bought it, unseen and without even seeing a photo of it (a bloke I was buying a Land Rover off has it stored at one of his lock ups) and I have forgot to ask what colour it is.

And the final problem, it is in kit form, it was stripped with the intention of him restoring it a good few year ago. He has apparently has done some welding on the footwells, but one of the rear arches need doing. I asked what parts are potentially missing, he inform the rear parcel shelf and the front bumper (as there is one supplied with the car but this is not the correct one. He informs the dash dials, clocks and GTI steering wheel are all present, and the interior is OK, but the rear seat is faded along the top.

But the biggest bonus of all, it was only £300.

So I will be wanting a lot of new parts as it will be a nut and bolt rebuild, to hopefully factory specification.

A couple of questions, advise :-Where can I get a heritage certificate from?Recommend source for interior partsRecommend source for body work panels, fitments if needRecommend source for wiring loomsRecommend source for engine partsGood restoration manual (Haynes or other)Colours availableAny pictures of factory specification carsThe full restoration will be documented on my build blog www.mikestoys.co.uk

Last edit: by mas123mas

VW - 1981 VW Golf GTi Series 2 Land Rover - 1997 Discovery 300TDi, 1985 110 SW, 1981 S3 109 SW, 1978 S3 Hard Top, 1966 S2a 88, 1965 S2a 109 SW, 1965 S2a 88, 1964 S2a 88, 1961 S2 88, 1960 S2 109SW, 1960 S2 88 3.5 V8 Range Rover - 1976 2-Door 3.5 V8 Jaguar - 1976 XJC Convertible Triumph - 1968 Vitesse MK2, 1969 Vitesse MK2 (basis for my Miglia Speedster) Modern - 2012 Hyundai Veloster, 2013 BMW X6 I also collect automobilia, automotive models and other bits of junk, that annoys the Mrs. www.mikestoys.co.uk  

Back to the top
Welcome to the Club first of all. 
Sounds interesting, try to get some photos loaded up here so we can see what exactly your dealing with. 

You also mention you're going to need a lot of parts.
Then really you should become a Paid Member. 
You'll get a barn full of discounts here plus a whole lot more and have your money back in no time at all! :thumbs:

All the adverts down the left side of the page are our discount partners. Plus you get discount at the Club Shop and access to the exclusive Paid Members Lounge. 

All that for £25 a year!   :thumbs:

Also if you have any questions whatsoever don't be shy.
We have more experience and knowledge at this club for Mk1's than VW do!

Sent from my Mobile phone. 

Sent by a smartphone and not a smartperson!

Play Guess the Asking Price 'SEASON 4' as of Sunday the 29th of October 2017.
https://vwgolfmk1.org.uk/forum/index.php?page=topicview&id=chat%2Fmk1-golf-chat_2%2Fguess-the-asking-price_2

OLD.
https://vwgolfmk1.org.uk/forum/index.php?page=topicview&id=chat%2Fmk1-golf-chat_2%2Fold-guess-the-asking

Ever wondered who's behind the scenes of this forum?
https://vwgolfmk1.org.uk/index.php?page=committee

Mike

There's me building mine 28 years ago, almost finished!        

001.JPG       

Be proud of your VW Golf Mk1, it's very special!

Back to the top
Thanks for the welcome.

I sent the payment via PayPal for the Paid Membership (I paid £20, is this the same membership as the £25 membership?).

I have requested the bloke selling the Golf to send me some photos, which he has said he will do a the weekend (I will post when I get them), but I still have to wait until after the 10th April to collect it, as I am away in Vietnam working.

I have always liked the MK1 GTi's but never thought about buy one, until yesterday, it was a spare of the moment decision.

Once I collect the car I will do a full inspection, I am going to full strip to bare metal, repair where need, then have it fully sprayed, before I start the rebuild, the engine will also be fully rebuilt.

VW - 1981 VW Golf GTi Series 2 Land Rover - 1997 Discovery 300TDi, 1985 110 SW, 1981 S3 109 SW, 1978 S3 Hard Top, 1966 S2a 88, 1965 S2a 109 SW, 1965 S2a 88, 1964 S2a 88, 1961 S2 88, 1960 S2 109SW, 1960 S2 88 3.5 V8 Range Rover - 1976 2-Door 3.5 V8 Jaguar - 1976 XJC Convertible Triumph - 1968 Vitesse MK2, 1969 Vitesse MK2 (basis for my Miglia Speedster) Modern - 2012 Hyundai Veloster, 2013 BMW X6 I also collect automobilia, automotive models and other bits of junk, that annoys the Mrs. www.mikestoys.co.uk  

Back to the top
Welcome to the club, there are few members down Middlesbrough way project1 is the Northeast regional host. 

Back to the top
There's a black one in ingleby too a cabby. If you need any help viewing it till your home I will go see it if you want
Mas123mas

Back to the top
I have also got a guy that would build it for you too and wire it for you too let me know I will put u in contact

Back to the top
Welcome to the club!

Look forward to seeing your bargain! :)

Back to the top

Great to see you're become a Paid Member right from the start, so did I and have never regretted it! :thumbs:

As for the cost of membership I might of been wrong when I said £25 but the problem is when I try to check it tells me that I'm already a paid member.  :lol:

So I look at it this way,  you've already saved a fiver and you haven't even got or seen the car yet. :lol:  

By the way, while you're in Vietnam.
I run a little competition about Mk1's for sale, see my link under my signature. 

Next winter I'm taking the Comp on a worldwide tour,
So if and that's a huge if  but if you find any Mk1's for sale in your part of the world right now can you send me a private message with a link. 

Just for a laugh!  :thumbs:

All the best. 

Mike 
Sent from my Mobile phone. 

Sent by a smartphone and not a smartperson!

Play Guess the Asking Price 'SEASON 4' as of Sunday the 29th of October 2017.
https://vwgolfmk1.org.uk/forum/index.php?page=topicview&id=chat%2Fmk1-golf-chat_2%2Fguess-the-asking-price_2

OLD.
https://vwgolfmk1.org.uk/forum/index.php?page=topicview&id=chat%2Fmk1-golf-chat_2%2Fold-guess-the-asking

Ever wondered who's behind the scenes of this forum?
https://vwgolfmk1.org.uk/index.php?page=committee

Mike

There's me building mine 28 years ago, almost finished!        

001.JPG       

Be proud of your VW Golf Mk1, it's very special!

Back to the top

mas123mas said

A couple of questions, advise :-Where can I get a heritage certificate from?

you can get one from here; http://automuseum.volkswagen.de/en/certificates-and-data-sheets.html

but I think they have quite a big backlog so you might have to wait a while before they get back yo you.

Back to the top
Hello and welcome to the club. 

Firstly thanks for stumping up for the membership, it really is worth it the money once you start getting your discounts on parts etc.

I'm just up the road on Washington and have been restoring my golf for the last 2 years. If you need any help, just ask away.

Andy :cool:

Back to the top
Welcome Mike and thanks for coughing up for membership  :thumbs:

That's a gamble purchase but at that price, if it's as described then you should do well! lol

Make sure you update your new arrival and resto on here ;)

For parts, Mark funk-star on here is your man - http://www.classic-vw.co.uk/ - he can get most things even if not on his web site.

For the certificate, do a quick google as you can order through VW germany - I think it's the museum web site from memory?

Andy

LINCOLNSHIRE REGION - https://www.facebook.com/groups/467122313360002/

1983 MK1 Golf GTI Campaign Model - Under (looooong) resto!
1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si

Back to the top
Thank you for the info so far, as soon as pictures are available I will post, also awaiting VIN and engine number, then I will apply for the certificate (their quoting up to EIGHT month wait on the museum website).

Will hopefully meet up with a few of you when I get the car back to my lock up, and start the assessment of how bad (or good) it really is.

I live in Ingleby Barwick, but have a lock up in Thornaby, where I keep most of my toys.

Back to the top
Welcome,
Don't forget to start a your projects post too.
That way we can follow your progress of your bargain.
Cheers

chortle

"Making Cabbies More Beautiful One Roof at a Time" 

Back to the top
He is the first picture of my new project, originally black (well half still is), with a half turquoise paint job.

Car will be collected late next week, then the fun can start ( I will also start a new build thread).

Going by this first picture and the Land Rover I bought off this bloke, hopefully things shouldn't be that bad, he said it need a lot of work, but he said that abut my Land Rover, which just needed a clutch master cylinder, brakes adjusting, a small patch on the chassis and a exhaust fitting, basically a days work (which my mate carried out for me) for the MOT.

Not too much longer to wait, as I depart Vietnam for the UK and sunny Teesside tomorrow.

Picture

Back to the top
you keeping it two tone?? :)
thats a bargain price i must say!  :thumbs:

Regards Volkswarren

X2 1983 A REG EW CAMPAIGN In WHITE(Awaiting full rebuild solid body) :thumbs: & T Reg S1 GTi Project, Still Looking for Series 1 GTi's or a 16S Oettinger to restore (Complete Cars only)  or an A reg Lhasa Green or White Gti to restore, also consider  Black, Red or Blue, Also Golf Driver Project Wanted anything considered WHY

Back to the top
 I live in Yarm so not far from you at all. I've been restoring/building a mk1 for a good few years now and am hoping to have it finished late summer, good to see another local mk1 enthusiast. Give me a shout if you need any help or advice and ill try my best :).
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.